Heather_256715

liquid yellow poo, not laying, standing hunched

My beautiful black rock, who is a rescue so I don't know the age- most probably round 2, is v.sick. She has been for the past four days or so, gradually getting worse. She has stopped laying which is very strange indeed. She has been wormed, has no external mites and their house has no red mites. Her poo is liquid and yellow, occasionally with bits of solid black poo in it. She stands hunched, and is barely eating. She eats less than a handful of mixed pellets and oysters a day, and won't eat corn either. She pecks at grass and digs a bit but not willingly. Her tail is low and drooping but her comb is bright red. We can't go to the vet. They are beyond useless for chickens. I don't want to ring her neck but fear I might have to. Anyone know what this is? What I should do? :(

Hi. How is she now? Just wondered how you were getting on?

I have been doing some research on google re this one in an effort to help and most answers point towards worms or a bacterial infection.

If you could worm with the Flubenvet treatment, that would be best. For the bacterial infection, Herban liquid for the water is excellent, as is Avipro which is a probiotic powder for their food. I have had great results with both of these items and now always keep some in.

Hi. How is she now? Just wondered how you were getting on?

I have been doing some research on google re this one in an effort to help and most answers point towards worms or a bacterial infection.

If you could worm with the Flubenvet treatment, that would be best. For the bacterial infection, Herban liquid for the water is excellent, as is Avipro which is a probiotic powder for their food. I have had great results with both of these items and now always keep some in.

She is a lot worse- I'm going to give it a day more. She is barely drinking anything, so I am doubtful that the worming solution is helping her at all. Also, she isnt eating. I think i am just prolonging her death if i keep her any longer.

She lives with two other girls, is it possible they are immune to whatever it is Belle has? She is so tired and keeps sleeping in her own poo and her feathers are all matted together as she isnt preening.

I think you should be considering culling her or finding a different vet, if I'm honest. Not seeking treatment for a creature that has been ill for nearly a week, and is continuing to deteriorate shouldn't be an option.

I have only two vets, and i live on an island. I would love to have a decent vet but these over here have no aviary practice at all. I think I'm going to cull her. I dont want to prolong a death anymore than I have already.

Hi. She does sound very bad bless her and I think you have probably done all you can do. If it is an infection, once it has gone past a certain point, your hands are pretty much tied and it is so hard to see when an infection starts etc as they are so good at hiding it. Often it is only unusual poos etc that give us any idea.

You are in a difficult position re the vets. Do you have anyone living nearby who has experience of culling chickens - has anyone nearby kept chickens for years, as often they do cull their own?

Let us know how you get on.