chickencam

Smokeless fuel recommendations please

We had a load of logs delivered last weekend but they are way too green to burn, so we have fitted our multi fuel kit to our stove and we are trying out smokeless fuel. Any recommendations of good brands and cheap suppliers would be gratefully received. We have far had a 10kg bag of Homefire Eco coal from B & Q and a 25kg sack of Brazier smokeless fuel from a local hardware shop. We are finding that we are not getting the same level of heat as we were with the dry logs unless we stick a small log on top.

Have a look at something like furnacite, or similar... little man-made buggest of smokeless fuel.

I've used things like this before, but in my experience, nothing burs as hot as wood, but nothing burns longer than these tyoes of fuels... it's a trade-off, I think.

Also, find a distributor, rather than buy the odd (overpriced) bags from places like B&Q.

I used these people when I lived in the UK... they okay, and they can help on the phone too:

http://www.coals2u.co.uk/

Good luck.

I use a mix of large & small anthracite grains in my parkray stove. Sometimes I do a mix which includes stove heat premium which is supposed to burn hotter with less impurities. I find if I just use stove heat premium it burns too quickly. I get my coal in bulk deliveries from CPL coals2u.

Thanks.

I have discovered that the Brazier bag that we bought is also made by CPL the Homefire people, we have found this to be pretty good. Last night I topped up the fire ar 7.30pm and there were still glowing pieces in there at 10am this morning and the stove was really warm still.

It looks to me as though it is is going to work out significantly more expensive to use smokeless fuel than to use logs, but we may have to grin and bear this for now. Apparently Home Bargains have a virtually half price offer on at the moment on 10kg bags of Homefire Ecocoal £3.99 instead of £8, but sadly we don't have a branch nearby, but we do have one opening next month some time, I am hoping that the offer will still be on by then.

I would like to burn wood, but every time the chimney sweep comes he says I shouldn't, even though we have a multi fuel stove :? . Have you ever had any problems with your chimney accumulating substances from burning wood?

Is your stove your only source of heat? Ours is, and it heats water and radiators as we dont have gas. How much do you pay for a load of logs and what quantity?

We are aiming to burn wood eventually as we have a large garage for storage and a small area of woodland with coppIced trees.

Im not sure exactly how much we have spent over the year on fuel, but I would estimate its been at least £1250 just for coal. It is very warm and works very well though.

Glad you found something that works.

We have a woodburner which came with a multifuel kit, which we have now put in. We burn mainly logs and love it to pieces, but we only have a 6' x 4' shed for log storage and this is now full of green logs :evil:

Burning just logs is fine so long as you only burn very dry well seasoned logs. The way to tell if logs are dry is they will be light weight and have cracks running out from the centre and will also sound very hollow when you drop them on other logs. If your chimney is properly lined, swept each year and you are burning dry wood you shouldn't get any problems. If you have an old unlined chimney, then you will need to be more careful, but again if you are burning dry logs and have it swept twice a year you should be ok.

A load of logs costs us £135 which is a flatbed tipper truck full to a depth of about a foot.

We only use the stove for heating the lounge, we also have gas central heating but use it as little as possible

Thanks Chickencam

The logs we have are definitely dry as they have been stored for ages since we had 4 trees felled in April. I will have to see if I can find the wood conversion kit for our stove. I think it's just a grill to put in the front. I know you can get a moisture gauge thingy that you stab into the wood to measure the moisture content. Sounds like a lot of logs for £135. Hope they dry out quickly!

Yes, the laurel was very very wet wood. Weighs a ton as well! But Ash is very dry & according to the tree surgeon can be burnt green. However, it's all mixed up in the garage!! I haven't found the adaptor kit yet either! We'll get round to burning it sooner or later! It will probably be more than a year by then!

I see people have mentioned CPL which operates it supply services as coals 2 u. They have a website that tells you about the different type of smokeless fuels and what is recommended for any given appliance.

However if at all possible please please please try to find your local independant supplier. They may be hard to find particularly as coals2u are trying to take over the competition. I certainly know this is true in my area and several competitors gave up or were bought out and then laid off. This will drive the price up ultimately. It did here and then when there was no competition their service became terrible.

I have now found a local supplier again and he is cheaper than them and only comes from near by instead of a national depot. Much better customer service too, personal.

As to fuel we use traybrite or supertherm but its for a Rayburn which is probably different as a closed appliance in continual operation.

I love this old poem about wood and it's particular burning properties:

Logs to burn; logs to burn;

Logs to save the coal a turn.

Here's a word to make you wise

when you hear the woodman's cries;

Never heed his usual tale

That he's splendid logs for sale

But read these lines & really learn

The proper kind of logs to burn.

Oak logs will warm you well,

If they're old and dry.

Larch logs of pinewoods smell

But the sparks will fly.

Beech logs for Christmas time;

Yew logs heat well;

'Scotch' logs it is a crime

For anyone to sell.

Birch logs will burn too fast;

Chestnut scarce at all;

Hawthorn logs are good to last

If cut in the fall.

Holly logs will burn like wax,

You should burn them green;

Elm logs like smouldering flax,

No flame to be seen.

Pear logs and apple logs,

They will scent your room;

Cherry logs across the dogs

Smell like flowers in bloom,

But ash logs all smooth and grey

Burn them green or old,

Buy up all that come your way

They're worth their weight in gold.

There's a few variations on the internet, they all have good info within :)

Hi, wondering if anyone with knowledge / experience could advise on which fuel types are suitable to burn on an open fire place (smokeless zone) please? I am interested to know which give off a smell (both inside or out the chimney) and which don't. Also if any are generally better value than others?

I don't have an open stove/fire, but from my own research I believe you can burn ecoal, home fire ovals and homefire.

I have burned ovals before and they seemed good, no strong smell other than a bit of a smell when first lighting.

For information, you could look here http://www.coals2u.co.uk/smokeless-fuels/open-fires-and-multifuel-stoves

The website is good for information, but I'm sure there are lots of independent suppliers who have good deals. I'm going to try a local supplier for my coal next time.

I'm waiting for my wood conversion kit for my stove so I can try burning wood!

Hi, wondering if anyone with knowledge / experience could advise on which fuel types are suitable to burn on an open fire place (smokeless zone) please? I am interested to know which give off a smell (both inside or out the chimney) and which don't. Also if any are generally better value than others?

I have an open fire and a woodburner and am in a smokeless zone. I burn Homefire hexagonal briquettes and find they provide a more than adequate heat, they burn bright and clean and last well, I've not distinguished any particular smell from them.

Have a look here for more info on different fuels. I buy my fuel from a local coal merchent, they know what you can and can't burn in your area. He actually said he couldn't sell me wood without seeing the certificate for my woodburner! (I womble it now anyway)

We have a multi fuel stove and have been using the 10kg bags from homebargins (the offer is permanent £3.99) and find them really good, 50kg a week burn. I have been looking round at other brands and such like to find cheaper/better alternatives, can't burn wood as in a smokeless zone.

Now I have read that Homefire Smokeless Coal the hexagonal one is the best selling brand and gives out the best heat, but is it worth the extra money over a pillow shaped one?

I can get 50kg of Newflame for £17.50

Or Homefire Hexagonals £24.26

Big difference!!!

Thoughts?

We found the Homefire hexagons easier to light with a cleaner but shorter burn time than the ones from Home Bargains. I would say that if you have to burn smokeless fuel stick to the cheaper ones.

We have gone back to burning logs this year, because we managed to get a good load of very dry wood this year, it is also much cheaper.

I’m currently burning super flame smokeless coal from my local coal merchant. I have an open fire and I’m in a smokeless zone. Currently costs £22 per 50kg. Have also tried excel smokeless which was £23 for 50kg. I like both. Compared to brazier from home bargains, both produce much less ash.