poppy ben grace

Does anyone have a Go or eglu for their Guineas.

Hello all, we have just got 3 lovely piggies for the children. They are currently living in my broody arc that my husband built and seem happy enough. Problem is i really love the ease of cleaning of the eglu/go and am considering the new go that omlet has designed for guinea pigs or a rabbit eglu. Do any of you good people have any opinions on them? Any thoughts would be fab, its my birthday next week and hubby wants to know what i want.......!!

Hi,

My two boys were living in a classic eglu that we bought a converter kit for (it was a chicken one originally). The eglu is great to keep clean, I learnt to put folded up newspaper in the gap between the tray and the eglu base to stop as much poo etc getting stuck in the ridge! We have a two metre run on ours still and although great for space it is too hard to get in to move guinea pig play things, tunnels etc.

Our big problem is our two boys have fallen out so the eglu will have to go into storage and they are now going to live in separate hutches :roll: I can't afford two eglus so they can have one each!!

I have a Piglu for our two guineas. It is brilliant in the summer - they can be out safely all the time and decide when to take themselves to bed - they particularly like being out on the grass at dawn and dusk. I do use a stick bendy arch thing, (sorry, best description I could think of), inside the Piglu, partly to block any breezes coming in when the door is open, but also to give them more privacy from the outside and each other - it gives them the choice to either sleep together or in separate areas.

Urine can end up underneath the tray, but I use hemcore or similar and so just sprinkle a little underneath the tray and in the gap that Looney mentioned.

It is not suitable for winter use though - they need to be inside somewhere warmer. Ours have a two storey indoor cage with a tunnel ramp and are in an unheated corridor of the house. They come in for the winter once the temperature starts to drop to single figures and will go back out when the grass gets going.

Thanks for that, i think i will try and find a second hand eglu. I have a large indoor rabbit cage that a friend has given me for winter use.I think i would feel happier if they spent the winter indoors.They are such dear little things, we have three and have had them a week now so they have just started to get used to the mad house they are living in!! :)

Hi ya,

I'm very excited as I'm going to get a purple one for my piggies. They are pretty expensive but I think worth it. I found that keeping the wooden hutches you get damp and rot etc. at least the plastic guinea eglu go will last.

I've got three baby girls inside at the moment. Not going out til early summer.

If I still had my eglu from the chooks then I would have go the converter kit instead. Good idea I think.

:D n

Hi did you get your purple eglu for your girls? I stupidly sold my blue eglu and put my rabbits in a wooden hutch that they proceeded to dig a hole in the bottom of and very nearly escaped!! Needless to say I had to buy another one so now bunnies are back in it and safe and happy. My piggies are back in their eglu on the lawn now after being in a wooden hutch over winter and are more than happy munching the grass.

I have to say after cleaning out the wooden hutches the ease of cleaning the eglus is a pleasure! :D

Hi again,

Yeah I got the purple eglu go and the girls have bee outside since the end of March and they love it. I put hay down in the run as they have eaten all the grass and that works very well.

They are very happy pigs in their eglu go. :)

(purple eglu)