The Chick Inn

Trying to hush my 2 hens up - might this work?

I have 2 hens and although they are usually pretty quiet, they are VERY vocal when they've laid an egg and have also begun to be vocal demanding to be let out of their run to free range in the garden - I have been letting them out each afternoon so have probably made a rod for my own back now as they expect it and if it doesn't happen they get cranky and parade up and down along the side of the run grumbling. Trouble is, they are starting to demand it earlier and earlier and their squawks are becoming louder and louder!

If I'm home I can usually quieten them down by chucking some corn in for them. But if I'm not they're presumably squawking away merrily. I have neighbours as I live on an estate, and I don't want to cause any problems with their noise. So I've been trying various things:

Strung fruit/veg up to keep them occupied

Tried shutting them in the coop at egg laying time (mid afternoon) - trouble is all it does is delay their laying as they seem to get grumpy about being shut in

I've even tried bringing them into the house (an old utility room) in the afternoons, but OH isn't terribly happy about that one!!

So I wondered if the problem is that they can SEE the garden and therefore perhaps screening it a bit might make them forget......I thought about putting up some brush wood fencing along the garden side of the run. The run is on a concrete base so unfortunately I cAnt plant anything and I presume tubs of plants wouldn't last long. I read somewhere that a chicken keeper had made the surrounds of his run very jungle like, surrounded with shrubs and plants and it seemed to calm the hens.

That MIGHT help with the 'I want to be over there where it's green' squawking, but now to tackle the 'Ive laid an EEEEGG!' noise.......I wondered if just giving them more to do might help? I thought about filling a plastic trough with lots of soil perhaps? They already have a dust bath of sand and a pile of logs and a CD on string.

Any other thoughts on how I can keep them a little quieter?

This probably won't help a lot but they all get excited when they lay like "How clever am I ,look at me :lol: "

Mine FR most of the time but have a WIR for when we are out .Which is about 5m X 5m and 2.5 m high .How big is their run ? Is there enough space? I reckon space is more important than hanging bits .

The other point is I live in a terrace block and used to worry about the occasional noise but after chatting to the neighbours they either like to hear it or don't notice it.I was worrying for nothing. Maybe you should casually ask your neighbours what they think ....I hope you get the right answer .

Hi, thanks for your reply. You might be right, perhaps they don't really notice - although a neighbour who lives in another street said he could hear them :oops: He wasn't complaining, but it shows that the noise carries! I possibly am worrying for no real reason, but I hate the thought of them getting irate behind my back......or in front of it :lol: I'm not confrontational at all and don't know how I'd deal with it if they complained. Just to add, the most immediate neighbours are behind my house on a different road, back to back with our garden with a big hedge between us, so I don't even know them to talk to.

Their run is 2m x 4m and is walk in height. Does that sound big enough? There are just the 2 of them (Marans) and I don't plan on getting more until I have moved house in the next year or so to a more rural spot. I'm going to get some coconuts to hang up (halved first of course!) and see what they make of them!

This probably won't help a lot but they all get excited when they lay like "How clever am I ,look at me :lol: "

Mine FR most of the time but have a WIR for when we are out .Which is about 5m X 5m and 2.5 m high .How big is their run ? Is there enough space? I reckon space is more important than hanging bits .

The other point is I live in a terrace block and used to worry about the occasional noise but after chatting to the neighbours they either like to hear it or don't notice it.I was worrying for nothing. Maybe you should casually ask your neighbours what they think ....I hope you get the right answer .

I agree with jackian that you should casually ask some of your neighbours if they can hear anything. My next door neighbours said they like to hear the noise of my bantams in the garden. My bantams sometimes wake me up at 7 o clock in the morning because they are eager to get into the garden. I sometimes wait and hope they stop or i go and let them out. I know that my Neighbours sleep at the frount of the house so if they did hear anything it would be quiet.

Hope your chickens quieten down!

Their run is 2m x 4m and is walk in height. Does that sound big enough? There are just the 2 of them (Marans) and I don't plan on getting more until I have moved house in the next year or so to a more rural spot. I'm going to get some coconuts to hang up (halved first of course!) and see what they make of them!

That sounds fine to me .If it is walk in height have you got maybe branches for them to jump on ,some people use broom handles .My friend has a small kiddies ladder in hers .

I'd stop throwing corn to shush them, as they are controlling you, and not the other way round. :lol: Also, they probably only make a fuss when they catch sight of you, so keep out of sight if you can.

I agree.

The point you make about making the run so the chooks can't see out, is interesting. Mine have walls on their WIR that let light in but you can't really see through them. Along the main garden side of the run, the 'walls' are fence panels. So my chooks can't see outside at all, and don't make any noise, to speak of.

I wonder if this is just a coincidence, and I just happen to have quiet chooks. Or whether there's any weight to the theory... They can't see it, so they're less likely to desire it. Perhaps it 'doesn't exist' unless they can see it?

Good luck with your noisy madams, and with your planned move to the country!

Ooh, the ladder's a good idea :idea: I've been struggling to think of ways to put perches in as the weld mesh has such small holes at I can't seem to get branches to poke through to secure them. But I've a set of little ladders from some bunk beds which I will try, thank you!

Egluntyne, you are right - the tail is wagging the dog :lol:

Suebee, I'm going to put up some brush fencing stuff to screen it off so I'll let you know what effect, if any, it has :wink:

Mine tend to be noisy when they know i'm in and not letting them out! :roll:

If I work at home and they haven't seen me and assumed I have left for the day they are a quiet as mice but if I open the door for the cat or walk past the window they start making a fuss!

I find if you ignore them they will only persist for a while and its never as loud as you think it is. :lol:

I have used shelf fixings in my WIR to make perches.

Good luck :lol:

Suebee, I'm going to put up some brush fencing stuff to screen it off so I'll let you know what effect, if any, it has :wink:

Also... as Lotty says, just ignore them. If you stop bribing them with the corn to keep quiet, they'll probably pack it in anyway.... A combination of all three should do the trick then! :lol: ... (little darlings... :roll: )

I agree with the advice not to let them see or hear you (although it does feel a bit ridiculous to be hiding from chickens!)

I have spied on mine and they seem quiet and happy when they don't know I'm there. The minute they catch sight or sound of me they pace by the run door like caged lions and scream at the top of their voices.

I suppose the other thing would be to visit them regularly in their run, or in the garden... without food, and ignore their pleads until they realise that food isn't the sole reason for your being! When OH and I join the girls in 'their' garden, they run to us expectantly, until we sit down and 'chill out', whereupon, the girls come and 'chill' too, generally having a preen, or pecking around our feet, but not shouting at us nor expecting food, probably because they never get any under those circumstances, and they know it.

The washing gets hung in their garden too. Once they see me with the washing basket, they know it's not a food visit. They'll come and peck about near me as I hang it up, (just in case :roll: ) but they never complain.