Sad news we lost our little Phyllis on Wednesday it was such an awful day.

When I let them out of the eglu in the morning Vera and Ethel went straight for the food but Phyllis just stood there with her tail down and all hunched up with very dirty knickers and very swollen underneath. I took her straight indoors to see what I could do but had no idea as this was the first time I have ever seen this so got her straight down the vets but it was to late and she was already slowly passing away so he put her to sleep.

Bless my little girl she had peritonitis and there was nothing I could do but I wish there was something I could have done.

I miss her so much and I always say no more pets because it hurts to much to lose them but then later on down the line the home feels empty without a pet or 2 or maybe more to look after and love.

We still have Vera and Ethel but they are missing Phyllis as she was top hen and always told them what they could and couldn't do and now they don't know what to do with themselves bless them.

I just wanted to do this post so I could get it off my chest and thought this would be the best place to do it as everyone on here loves chickens and will understand.

Thanks for reading

Laura xxx

Good night my little Phyllis

Ah I really feel for you!! :( I lost my cockerel Monty back in dec, suspected Marek's he too was PTS (he was my fav :whistle: ) The girls were a nightmare screaming and scawbbling later on the same day!!! :( But they did sort themselves out after a little while.

Sadly I tried to replace him with another boy but he sadly passed away in the night suddenly :( So I've decided to just muddle on with my girls as we are.

A hug for you X. RIP Phyllis

Thank you all for your very kind words kind words.

On a brighter note Ethel who was the underdog has now really come out of her shell and turned into a lovely little character rather than a shy girl who doesn't like anyone near her.

She has also become very protective of Vera and chases me and tries to peck me when I pick Vera up for a cuddle. at first this was a huge shock but now its quite funny well for my other half it is as he watches me run away from her or try to stand my ground :)

Laura x

So sorry I could not reply yesterday but was stuggling to come to terms with losing Thelma. My vet was very kind but his comment of "Doesn't pay to get too close to a chicken." is just not plausible is it.

Hope you are feeling brighter today.

I am sorry you lost Thelma and the comment your vet made was awful it doesn't matter what type of animal it is they are still your pet who you look after, care for and love.

I hope your feeling a little brighter now. Sending big hugs

And sending big hugs to everyone who has lost a loved pet