balti

Geri is about to be a mum in an omlet eglu!

Hi,

Is there anything i should know about my silkie starting her family in the eglu. I have taken out the bars..... 2 out of 4 have started breaking out today and i can hear chirping from under the hen. Should i close the door for the

next 2 days to keep out the draught and keep chicks in? I have put a little dish of crumb and water inside.

Any tips appreciated.

SO excited :D

Thanks

Trace

I don't know but I came on here looking for advice too. I have eggs in the incubator due to hatch about Wednesday. I also have a broody silkiex who has been sitting in my rablu for the last 3 days. I am going to put the hatching eggs under her tonight and put her into lockdown but I don't know where to put food/water. I could use the bowl area (where the nest is on the chicken version) for the food but I think the water will lean and spill in a drinker. I know the Dogmother has used a rablu so I'm hoping she will have some tips.

You don't need to worry about feeding the chicks for up to 2 days. Mum is the only one needing food and water to start with. However, if water is in the Eglu, be sure you use a very shallow container and put marbles in it. Chicks have a tendency to try to drown themselves in their first few days of life :(. So, just be careful of that.

I've hatched several times in our eglu.

I've taken all the bars out, put a very shallow saucer with marbles in it at the doorway and sprinkled a small pile of chick crumb nearish mum so that she could get some when she didn't want to leave the chicks.

When she does take them out into the run, the chicks will be able to jump down but won't be able to jump up into it again. I banked the bedding up outside so that the chicks could get back into the eglu again.

You may also need to put some covering over the lower part of the length of the run as small chicks can fit through the omlet run bars.

Good luck with your hatch.

How are your chicks doing Balti? I know at least one of ours has hatched as I can hear cheeping but broody is sat tight so having to be patient.

Have you made a ramp for your chicks to get in the Eglu? I'm not sure how to make one they'll manage in the first few days.

Hi Shirl.

Well Pip was cracked out sunday night and was there Monday morning when i went to peek. Bits so traumatic !

That left 3 eggs...... I have been reading up and reading up on this..... So 24 hrs later i opened the eglu hatch

and took some crumb to mum who made all the right noises and Pip appeared jumped on my hand and with help

from mum started pecking..... Yesterday I put in a corn on the cob so both mum and pip shared but i cant see

Pip taking water! when i put her near the dish she stands on it and jumps off.... Mum wont budge from her nest, she

even last night poo'ed whilst in her nest...

This morning i opened the hatch for a peek, and also opened the door to the run and for the first time in what seems

like forever she jumped up, ran out, poo'ed....... And i saw pips sibling, Plop. so 2 egss left..

My only worry was that mum didnt go straight back to the 2 eggs, instead she start digging the auboise around the

eglu, and little plop went flying.... she eventually settled back on the 2 eggs and 2 chicks before i had to go to

work, - I wonder if she knows that the other 2 eggs wont hatch and shes getting restless.

Will watch tonight and see how she goes... -)

I would candle the eggs tonight if you get a chance as if they are not going to hatch you need to chuck them so she starts looking after babies if you leave the door open when shes ready she will bring babies out if she doesn't go back you know the eggs are no good as she wont leave the eggs if she knows they are going to hatch if this makes sense leanne :)

Oh no......that's what I'm dreading. There isn't much room in that nesting area. I want to get them out and fill

It up with auboise to match the level everywhere else, it might give chicks more room and easier to get

To food !

Hope other 2 hatch ok!!!!

Interestingly my Biscuit isn't using the nest area, at night she prefers to settle at the back of the Eglu. The whole area is pretty much level with all the bedding material that's inside.

Andrew

I think tomorrow i will level it out - just been outside and she is still very protective of her 2 remaining eggs - unless

she thinks i am after the chick - alot of pecking going on and she is moving stuff around her nest. I managed to

get one egg out and torched it - i cant see through it!! cant get to the other in fear of harming the 2 little chicks...

or causing mum to do something silly. I'm rubbish at this! :(

I can see the last 2 chicks have started to break through with quite large holes in the shell. We have put chick food and water in the run and made a very makeshift ramp using a couple of bricks and then an edging tile which makes a slope. I was concerned wood would be too slippery even though it wasn't shiny. I have then covered it all in hemcore to level it off further and make it softer. I will assess in the morning but will probably open the door and leave mum to it. We are due to go to London tomorrow so I won't be in all day. We will leave home at about 9 so have a while to keep an eye and change my mind if required.

I hope your eggs pip tonight Balti.

wow.how exciting,

my 2 eggs are whole - and she is leaving them for a bit longer today but she has not yet taken the chicks outside and

pip hatched monday am....

we are away from this afternoon until sun ( have parents over to look after dogs etc ) so wont be around either...

Good luck !

Just a word of warning make sure the holes in the wire are not big enough for the chicks to get through and if she does bring them out they can get back in as I had a lady phone me a couple of weeks ago she got bantams off me last year to say she went out for the day came back and found 3 chicks had got through the wire and couldn't get back to mum they were outside dead as they got cold do you mind me asking balti why did you not put her eggs under her at the same time as its not a good idea with them hatching at different times as she needs to look after the babies that have hatched and not worry about eggs leanne :)

Well this morning I looked to see what had happened and the last 2 chicks were dead in shell. What a disaster. I gave her 4 eggs and she's killed 3. Last time I use her as a broody! I'm going to order an electric hen and start again.

oh my gosh - Im so sorry

Has the last 2 not make it out of their shell???

I have come home today and she has chucked one of the eggs out of the eglu into the run and the other egg she

buried under the auboise so shes not interested in them now.. plus they are cold.

To answer a question from the post before we did not do this properly. We had a chicken who went broody and

was shoving eggs under and it got out of control - our fault - we candled them and marked the ones what looked

fertile but they were at diff stages.

I have 2 chicks which is 2 more than i though - and Geri Silkie is such a good mum!

No they didn't make it out of the shell even though there were large holes made. Ours is a silki cross and she is being a good mum now. Part of me thinks maybe we should have hatched them and then put them under but she did still squash one and there is no certainty she would have accepted them.

If they didnt make it out of the shell thats the chicks not being strong enough? Mother never helps? Or have I

got that all wrong..

Do you know if its possible to put another silkie into the same eglu with mum and 2 chicks, if the new silkie is

sitting on a few eggs or will she try and steal or hurt the chicks because she is broody? Or would they all ignore

each other?

You would think that they were sitting on them for so long they would do ballet moves around them... Must be

horrid to have to see that! :(

Ok wont add Cher to the mix will have to find somewhere else to put her - She cant stay where she is, Will

candle her eggs tonight and make a decision.!