Chicken deficient

Putting weight on chickens

I'm not planning on eating anyone, but I'd rather my flock were carrying a little more weight.

I'm sure I've read that growers pellets and corn are more fattening than layers pellets, but I've been looking at the nutritional analysis of various brands and it doesn't make sense - layers and growers pellets appear to be the same, (apart from calcium levels), and mixed corn should be less fattening than either!

Layers pellets: protein 16%, oils and fats 4%

Growers pellets: protein 16%, oils and fats 4%

Mixed corn: protein 8.5%, oils and fats 2.5%

:think:

So, how do you help a chicken gain weight?!

I totally get were you're coming from!!! I've had problems with my pekins and their weight. It all started with changing over pellets from growers to layers (different sizes) Well I've had a battle on my hands, but we seem to be over that now. As you say it is very hard to help them gain weight as everything goes in to eggs!!! Currently I've Forence who was very poorly, but happily on the mend now.....she needs to gain weight again!!! :roll::anxious:

2 tips I was given and have used are :-

1.Quial food. I make my girls a pellet porridge in the morning and sprinkle it over the top

2. I sprout bugie seed (Trill mix) Soak the seed over night and then pour in to a tub lined with paper towel and then in to the dark airing cupboard for 3 days!

The girls go mad for both. They were tips from seasoned pekin bantam keepers....hope the're also ok for other breeds? :oops:

What's concerning you about their weight?

Do they have free access to their pellets all day? If so then they should be the right weight.

They may be a 'rangier' breed and not be inclined to weigh as much.

The fattening feed is mixed corn as maize has natural fattening oils in it..

What's concerning you about their weight?

Do they have free access to their pellets all day? If so then they should be the right weight.

They do have ad lib pellets, but I'd still say the layers are rather lean. The cockerel and retired ladies have a decent covering of breast muscle and I'd rather the others had better reserves too, just in case.

I'm used to prodding the dogs from time to time and adjusting their diets accordingly, so I feel a little helpless when it comes to my chickens.

Thanks for the suggestions mimi5 - also your seed sprouting reminded me of an article I read about fermenting chicken feed and increasing its nutritional value. I think I'll look into that a bit more too.

I think part the problem with Pekins is that they are so tiny they cannot eat that much food, yet they lay a proportionately large egg and quite frequently too, so it must be quite a strain on their bodies when they are laying.

Laying hens are not meant to be fat, and fat hens don't lay eggs. Provided your ladies are healthy and are laying regularly (if they are in the right age range) I wouldn't worry too much about weight.

If you really think they are underweight, then restricting free ranging and not giving any treats, so that they fill up on pellets, is the best route to make sure they are getting all their nutritional needs but provided they have access to pellets all day they will normally regulate their own weight.

you also need to remember chickens don't store fat the same way mammals do most of it is stored around their internal organs and not around their body laying chickens aren't that meaty so do look thin plus eggs are high in protein so a large proportion of any protein that gets eaten goes into the eggs, which is why your older girls seem to be fatter than the laying girls cockerels can look big but as any that use's the spares for the pot will tell you they can be rather skinny and all frame

My hens all look big, but under their feathers they're skin and bone!

When I had to inject one recently, the vet was saying that these (hybrids) are tricky to inject because they have hardly any breast fat/meat. He said this was normal/correct for these hens.

Edna is a bit older and laying less often and is a little bit chubbier - but only a very little bit.

They are all strong and feisty so I guess this is just the way they are