AndreaT

First hatch - updates pics!

Pipers first hatch is due on Saturday so the countdown has started! :clap:

The non-slip mat has arrived so I plan on putting that in tomorrow afternoon after doing a final clean and I'll also be making a trip to the feed store to pick up chick crumb. I'm going to put link-a-board round the bottom of the run later in the week and I might move the whole thing slightly so it's on fresh grass that hasn't been broody poo'd on!

Just a quick question; when should she be in lockdown from? Should I just leave her to it after I shut her in on Thursday? Friday is day 20.

Piper has done really well but we did have a bit of a set back last night. When I went to open the coop and check on her this morning she had broken one of the wellsummer eggs. I didn't examine it too closely but it was definitely fertile. :cry: 7 eggs left though so fingers crossed they all make it.

Edited by Guest

Day 18 is usually the best time to go into lock down. That way, any early arrivals can't wander off and get lost and Mum has at least a day or so to get used to the slightly more confined conditions.

Good luck!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

I'm slightly concerned now as when I got home today she wasn't sat on a couple of the eggs and they were cool. I did the clean out and she's back on them all but I've no idea how long they were left. Just have to wait and see what happens now and keep everything crossed :pray: It's very stressful this hatching business! :roll:

Yeah, that's a good sign. There will be a chick under mum :D. Don't worry if you can't hear it yet, mum will muffle the sound. Also don't worry if the shell disappears, mum will often eat it, as its a good source of nutrients. When you do lift mum out be careful, the chick(s) could be tucked under her or inside a wing. You don't want them dropping out.

Andrew

Woohoo, Piper has three lovely fluffy chicks :clap: I'll get some pics once she lets me see them again!

Question is what do I do with the remaining eggs? When I checked on her just now see wasn't sat on a couple of them (there's four remaining) so I shook them very gently and the definitely sounded a bit sloshy. I'm guessing that means they're not going to hatch and I should take them away? She tucked them back under her so she's still wanting to sit on them.

I've taken the decision to remove the remaining eggs as the were all sloshy :cry: But here are the three lovely chicks :D I have a welsummer, a black silkie and I think the other is a home grown GL orp x australorp. Does anyone know if the welsummer is a boy or a girl? I may need to get a better picture of its eyeliner!

8758576544_63272cbd97_z.jpg

8758304232_4f22646184_z.jpg

8757460587_5c1fd8b939_z.jpg

8758296612_c7d0cecb5c_z.jpg

Unfortunately the orpingtons didn't hatch, which are what I really wanted. Fortunately Crisatal is broody so I may just have to get her some orp eggs 8)

Pipers chicks are now 3 weeks old and I can't believe how much they've grown! I've got a feeling that at least two are boys, the other's a silkie so it could be a while until I know about that one.

9000954882_7d7131ec4b_z.jpg

This little one loves hitching a ride on mum! :lol:

8999776821_eb34dc2d8e_z.jpg