Lavenders_Blue

Blunt/worn teeth?

I wonder if this type of tennis ball will pick up the sand :? I think I will try to source a rubber one too. One of her lower canines is definitely worn down a bit. I am really glad I found out about the problems arising from tennis balls before it is too late. Thanks all.

Lots on google about tennis-ball teeth! Apparently the 'Kong' versions are made of non-abrasive felt so if she really loves her tennis balls would be a shame to deprive her ;) Wouldn't have thought antlers/bones would affect the canines, rather the carnassial/molars?

Lots on google about tennis-ball teeth! Apparently the 'Kong' versions are made of non-abrasive felt so if she really loves her tennis balls would be a shame to deprive her ;) Wouldn't have thought antlers/bones would affect the canines, rather the carnassial/molars?

I've been watching Tango chew her antler this evening and she's definitely chewing with the back teeth rather than using her canines, whereas when she plays with a ball she definitely grips with her canines. Interesting stuff! :lol:

Certainly Lara was chewing the antler at the back of her mouth so I really think the sandy tennis ball has caused this. I am so grateful to be able to sort this now and although I had noticed her tooth looking different assumed a bit had broken off someway. I do not know why vets don't warn dog owners :( I have ordered the kong tennis ball, but as I am a bit worried it will pick up sand and cause abrasion I have also ordered the smooth one too. I hope I can use it in the launcher.

Really interesting thread.

Lots of opinions coming up on this thread.

My input is EVERYTHING IN MODERATION, don't stop giving them antlers and the tennis balls just don't

use them day in day out.

Use the antlers as a treat or for when you have to leave them for a bit and use tennis balls a few times

a week as a different form of exercise.

In my opinion, if something, e.g. tennis balls, is causing noticeable damage and wear to tooth enamel, using them in moderation will not prevent further wear of the teeth, it will just be at a slower rate than if they were used more frequently. Given the potential consequences of tooth damage, I would advise not giving them at all to a dog that has already managed to damage its teeth. If safer alternatives exist, why not use them instead?

My big dog played gently with all her toys, including tennis balls, and after 14 1/2 years her teeth still looked perfect, with no visible wear to the enamel.

One of my little dogs managed to cause very obvious wear to her enamel on several teeth from playing in a neighbour's garden and chewing her dog's toys, for only a few hours on one afternoon.

Yes tennis balls should be for exercise not for chewing. And like humans not all dogs have strong teeth

which can be to do with what they are fed.

My 9 year old lab has retrieved tennis balls for 9 years, has a Stag bar which he is allowed for a treat and has

amazing teeth. My year old lab,springer and our 2year old springer are treated the same and and have fabulous

strong even teeth.

Everything in moderation.

I have decided to bin the antler really because she has chewed it into such a sharp point she could injure herself on it now. I am not sure if she possibly has soft teeth as she does not play with the ball every day but possibly 3x per week. These are usually half hour sessions on the beach so the ball picks up sand. She will retrieve the ball and if she doesn't want it thrown straight away will hold onto it. I probably throw the ball about 30x each walk. As the new balls have not arrived yet I took the tennis ball out today and noticed that when she holds it she does so slightly off centre on the tooth that is worn :? My friend who has an elderly collie reckons her teeth have be worn by carrying sticks with sand on them. I think the sand is a big issue here.

I'd tend to agree that the sand would be more abrasive to the teeth than the soft felt. Would the sand stick to a rubber stick (thinking safe stix - and no, I'm not on commission lol) or does she not like them?

I also binned my first antler after Leo splintered it into sharp points within 5 minutes - didn't know if that was what they were supposed to do so didn't want to take any chances..

Neela has an antler - I bought one for her first birthday last week. She has chewed it a fair amount, but it is not splintering. She is just keen to get to the marrow centre :lol: I didn't know they could wear her teeth down so I will keep an eye on it and them. She does like chewing tennis balls, but I don't like her to have them too often and try to stick to them being throw in the park. I will look into a kong rubber ball, if they last longer than a normal tennis ball. That said, they are much more expensive than a tennis ball and would worry about the other thieving dogs in the park :roll:

Bear in mind that if we are trying to give dogs something they would 'eat in the wild' they would tear flesh etc off bones and crunch up smaller softer bones, they would not sit knawing on an actual bone for hours on end. They have the teeth of a carnivore, designed for ripping flesh and crunching up softer bone. Some dogs will never have a problem whatever you give them, others won't be as lucky. If there are signs of wear, it is worth looking at easing up on some things that you may be using/giving :)

Exactly.

My two eat a raw diet, and while they happily munch away on chicken carcasses and lamb ribs,they have narrow jaws and an't manage anything bigger. I check their teeth regularly, especially Cyrus's as he came to me with very poor gnashers; both of them are fine, but they don't really play with balls much, and the antler chews are limited.

I had no idea how harmful tennis balls or antlers could be :shock:

Daisy our 14mth old shih tzu has 2 antlers and loves them. They both have one end that is quite sharp now and she will spend hours chewing them. If she doesn't have one of them in her mouth she goes around with a tennis ball and comes up to me or OH and likes to make a game of us pulling the ball out of her mouth and then throwing it for her to bring back. I had no idea her teeth could be getting damaged by all of this.

I do brush her teeth every day, but obviously that isn't going to stop the enamel coming off. She is due for her annual booster this month so I will ask the vet to have a look.

Mercedes55, please don't worry too much. If Daisy's teeth look okay then they probably are! I tried to Google some photos to show what Tango's teeth look like for comparison, but all the blunt teeth photos look much worse than hers!

I think LBB's advice of 'all things in moderation' is sound. I am still letting Tango have tennis balls for agility training (1x per week) and antlers under supervision for short periods. Damage limitation.

Mercedes55, please don't worry too much. If Daisy's teeth look okay then they probably are! I tried to Google some photos to show what Tango's teeth look like for comparison, but all the blunt teeth photos look much worse than hers!

I think LBB's advice of 'all things in moderation' is sound. I am still letting Tango have tennis balls for agility training (1x per week) and antlers under supervision for short periods. Damage limitation.

I bought her tennis balls online so I checked them and they are all Kong ones so that's okay. However as I was worried I did check her mouth out after I had cleaned her teeth this morning and was horrified that at just 14mths old she already has some yellowing on her back two upper teeth, seems to be on the bit that has a kind of dent in it, not sure if that is how all dog's back teeth are. I'd never actually had a look at her teeth before today as I was just putting my finger in with the toothpaste on a muslin cloth and working my way round her teeth with her mouth shut. I am really surprised at seeing this build up on her teeth at such a young age :?

Some good raw bones would soon sort that out - they will clean her teeth as she enjoys them.

I think that's what wore down my dog's teeth during her afternoon of obsessive chewing in my neighbour's garden - it is littered with raw bones :think::shock: (I don't think they are human...)

Mine seem to do well with Nylabones - they go all bristly like toothbrushes when they chew on them, but they are still no substitute for regular toothbrushing, (other than a whole dead rabbit or something :vom: )

What sort of bones were they, CD? Very hard, weight bearing bones (eg knuckles etc) won't do much for teeth cleaning (whilst Tango loves her antlers, they do zero for teeth cleaning). Softer, crunchable bones will clean up the teeth nicely and won't cause damage. I find chicken bones are a bit too soft too s"Ooops, word censored!"e the gunk off teeth, but lamb bones such as ribs and spine, and pigs trotters work a treat. Tango had quite a bit of tartar on her canines. Fragaria pillules from Dorwest softened it up enough for the bones to s"Ooops, word censored!"e it all off. Now they are pearly white and gleaming!

I don't know what all the bones are - a variety of bits and species I think - I wasn't there on the afternoon in question, (the dogs went for a play because I hadn't been well enough to take them out), so I didn't get to see what it was she chewed in particular, but I know she gets raw bones from the market in town. I'll have to ask.

It would be nice to not have to brush their teeth so much - Schnauzer beard and dribble and toothpaste and dog breath aren't a great mix :vom: .

Having said that, we're both veggie and I really don't think it would go down too well with OH if he came home to find them gnawing a raw carcass in the garden :lol: