ducknovice

Advice re tiny duckling

Hi there, thanks for advice before. My little duckling is still surviving...though still looks like 1 week old duckling. His hatchmates are now ready to go outside. What is best to do......little guy does not have any feathers and spends most of his time huddled in with the big guys. Eating, drinking, running about ok but has hardly grown at all. Should I separate them??? keep little guy inside for a bit longer but he will be on his own :( would they then accept him when he has grown a bit???? Problems, problems Help !!!!!!!!! :?

Oh poor little duckling. Alas I don't know the answer but will watch this with interest. Guess it needs the attention of our duck expert, Lianne / miller :anxious: I would imagine that it might be better staying with its siblings as they seem to keep it warm and ducks do have quite a bit of fat on them to keep them warm. I would think that the real trouble would come if he / she tries to follow the others onto any water as obviously he / she would not have the ability to stay afloat.

Hi you could split them up and put tiny baby and the next smallest together as a pair and put the others outside or you could put them all out in the day as the weather is very warm at the mo and bring them all in at night ducklings are harder than we think leanne :)

Hi All thanks for all your wise words. Took the plunge and little Fizzy went out with the rest. He is coming on leaps and bounds. He is catching up and is now getting feathers :clap: I am so proud of him. They have now ventured out from their enclosed run for a while in the afternoon...and he leads the way :D I sit there in rain, wind and midge attacks and am so enjoying watching them. Think I have 4 ducks and one drake....guess who the Drake is??? :wink: The little guy !!!! Wonder if it is the spinach, mealworms, grower pellets or just a miracle. Thanks again guys for support. Marie

Hello All, just wanted to update re my little drake, called Fizzy. He turned into the most beautiful little guy but then started to struggle. He developed a limp and on taking him to the vet discovered he had a heart defect, probably present from birth. Gave medication a try but he died yesterday evening, very peacefully, lying in my arms at the edge of the pond where he loved to dive and splash about.

He gave us lots of joy and I am heart broken but glad he is at peace. He is now beside the pond under a gunnera plant where he loved to lie in the shade. The girls seemed to sense things and stayed beside him constantly over past couple of days and sat on the front door step when I actually brought him into the house to look after him.

Sleep tight Fizzy, we will all miss you.

Marie

Im sorry that is so sad :( even though he had a short life it sounds like he had a great one I know how attached you can become to ducks I lost salt my cherry valley girl a couple of years back I cried for days I have had lots of ducks but you always get a couple of really special ones leanne :)

Thanks all..he was so special! The other girls are coping fine...probably better than me :cry: On a happier note we now have three Buff Orpington ducklings, 2 weeks old and eating us out of house and home but all seem to be thriving. Life goes on :!: Not easy this duck keeping :roll: Marie