Laura007

yogurt

I do make my own yoghurt in a way. I use an Easiyo yoghurt maker:

http://www.easiyo.com/

It's very simple and tastes great. You buy the powdered yogurt mix of your choice add water and place in the yougurt maker for a couple of hours.

I tend to go for the natural yogurts and add my own fruit, honey, etc. but the flavoured varieties are good too.

They make about 1 litre and the kit comes with little serving screw top pots for taking yogurt to work.

I do make my own yoghurt in a way. I use an Easiyo yoghurt maker:

http://www.easiyo.com/

It's very simple and tastes great. You buy the powdered yogurt mix of your choice add water and place in the yougurt maker for a couple of hours.

I tend to go for the natural yogurts and add my own fruit, honey, etc. but the flavoured varieties are good too.

They make about 1 litre and the kit comes with little serving screw top pots for taking yogurt to work.

I'll second that!

I've got a Lakeland yogurt maker and simply start off with some UHT milk (you don't need to scald that before using it which makes the process quicker as it's already been heat treated) and a couple of teaspoons of bio yogurt as a starter. Bung it all in the yogurt maker, switch on and leave for 8 hours. Save a couple of teaspoons of resulting yogurt to use as a starter for the next batch.

I used to make yoghurt using a flask, but I've not done that for quite some time now and I can't remember how off the top of my head.

I'm off to a football match any minute now (typing madly whilst son searches for his missing shin pad :roll: ), but I'll try to dig the recipe out later.

'Twas easy, I do remember that :D

I've got a Lakeland yogurt maker and simply start off with some UHT milk (you don't need to scald that before using it which makes the process quicker as it's already been heat treated) and a couple of teaspoons of bio yogurt as a starter. Bung it all in the yogurt maker, switch on and leave for 8 hours. Save a couple of teaspoons of resulting yogurt to use as a starter for the next batch.

Same here......

For my flask yoghurt

I boil up some milk in a saucepan let it cool til its lukewarm. Stir in some live yoghurt and then leave in a flask for 24 hours. Then I mix it with pureed fruit for the children divide it into pots and put it in the fridge.

Before I mix the fuit in I take another spoonful to make the next batch. Apparently its yummy which is great as most things I've made the effort to be more healthy with they describe as yuck.

I too have the EasyYo maker but I don't like the sachets - I tried the ones that came with it and was not impressed with either the taste (the flavoured ones tasted over sweet) or the price. I use it to make my own and here is my recipe

2x tablespoons of powdered milk

2x tablespoons of yogurt (either a nice plain Yeo valley natural or the remains of the last home made pot)

half fill with 1pt carton of full cream UHT milk (it has to be UHT or you need to boil the milk)

Give it a really good shake (Bonus as it can work out your upper arms if you do it right)

Fill to the top with the rest of the milk

Shake again

Fill EasiYo with boiling water

Leave overnight

Yummy!

You get a little of the pint of milk left over, my DS loves to drink it as unlike the "proper" milk its not cold. Odd kid. I remember feeling very gratefull to "Thatcher the milk snatcher" when she took away our warm milk!

Whatever I can get in a big tub! You can only seem to get skimmed and whichever brand is the cheapest.

Made me wish I had a tub on the go now, I think I'll be buying a starter when I shop this week.

Same here......

And here! :D

For my flask yoghurt

I boil up some milk in a saucepan let it cool til its lukewarm. Stir in some live yoghurt and then leave in a flask for 24 hours. Then I mix it with pureed fruit for the children divide it into pots and put it in the fridge.

Before I mix the fuit in I take another spoonful to make the next batch. Apparently its yummy which is great as most things I've made the effort to be more healthy with they describe as yuck.

Is it OK to use semi skimed milk for this? :?

I did it! Used semi skimmed milk from the milkman, boiled and cooled, mixed with a dollop of Yeo valley yoghurt. Put in a wide mouth food flask. 24 hours later - yummy! It made a set yoghurt. Delicous drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. Even the little boys ate it! I now have to make some more. :drool:

I tried it in a normal flask, just to see how it turned out, as I didnt have anything else to use right now....

I come home and find the flask upside down on the draining board........Andy had only opened it to find what he thought was sour milk so washed it out....... :lol::lol: I was a little mad at first but now it is very funny......

Agree with Nicola.

My boys wouldnt eat it after the first few times and it is a little...bitter. So Ive started making it from hot chocolate cooled down. Perfect.

That's a good idea - I might have a go at some with some banana or strawberry nesquik thrown in :idea:

:lol::lol: at Karl and Andy!

I tried it in a normal flask, just to see how it turned out, as I didnt have anything else to use right now....

I come home and find the flask upside down on the draining board........Andy had only opened it to find what he thought was sour milk so washed it out....... :lol::lol: I was a little mad at first but now it is very funny......

....and how is Andy this morning? :wink: