Leicester_H

Men Only Golf Clubs ?

Hi

Was surprised to hear David Cameron say its OK to have men only clubs in the UK - its a free country (on the Andrew Marr Show this morning - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037lyt8/The_Andrew_Marr_Show_21_07_2013/ - go to 51mins 20 seconds ).

So I assume that's its not illegal? Why not ? I thought discrimination (gender, race,religion) was illegal ??

Would it be OK to start say, a golf club just for white (or Chinese or whatever) people ?

I assume not - but why (legally) is this different ?

Your views, H

So I assume that's its not illegal? Why not ? I thought discrimination (gender, race,religion) was illegal ??

Would it be OK to start say, a golf club just for white (or Chinese or whatever) people ?

It's not illegal because it is a private club and they can set whatever terms and conditions they like

It's not illegal because it is a private club and they can set whatever terms and conditions they like

Can they ?? So I could form and advertise a private whites only chicken keeping club ? That seems ridiculous.

It's not something that bothers me. If it was that outdated and offensive to all then they wouldn't have a membership. At my golf club there is the 'club room' which is male only, really doesn't bother me as it tends to keep those people you wouldn't really want to have to make polite conversation with shut away :D

There are lots of single sex groups - WI, masons, guides, scouts, single sex schools.

There are lots of single sex groups - WI, masons, guides, scouts, single sex schools.

OK - I get the single SEX thing, but what about other discrimination eg. colour ?

No, the Race Relations Act 1976 says:

Section 25:

(1)This section applies to any association of persons

(a)it has twenty-five or more members; and

(b)admission to membership is regulated by its constitution and is so conducted that the members do not constitute a section of the public

(2)It is unlawful for an association to which this section applies, in the case of a person who is not a member of the association, to discriminate against him—

(a)in the terms on which it is prepared to admit him to membership; or

(b)by refusing or deliberately omitting to accept his application for membership.

I don't think you could get away with a white or a black only club, but I think you could have one based on ethnicity. There's an Afro-Caribbean club I pass on my way to work. You could set up a gay male voice choir and be allowed to "discriminate" against non-gay men and women as the members would have to share those certain characteristics, but not discriminate on the grounds of religion say.

Thanks Fred - have now done a bit more googling and found this

The Equality Act 2010 replaces previous anti-discrimination laws with a single Act. (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/85018/private-clubs.pdf)

which states

The Act protects people from discrimination on the basis of ‘protected characteristics’. The relevant characteristics for private clubs and other associations are:

•disability

•gender reassignment

•pregnancy and maternity

•race – this includes ethnic or national origins,colour and nationality

•religion or belief – this includes lack of belief

•sex, and

•sexual orientation

which seems to mean to me that sex discrimination is the same as racial discrimination (as I believe it should be).

It also gives, as an example,

Louise is a member of a golf club and the club only allows her to play on weekdays because she is a woman. This is unlawful sex discrimination against a member of a private club.

So I'm even more confused now !

There are lots of single sex groups - WI, masons,

Nope, there are female Masons :D

Not many granted, but there are some.

I could name names, but I would then have to kill you :lol::lol::lol:

Yes but they have seperate meetings don't they? They are not open to join most lodges/chapters but have their own.

As I understand it women can still play golf on the courses but just not actually belong to the club? It does seem pretty outdated.

I think it's OK to "discriminate" when the reason for the discrimination is positive. Women only gyms make women feel more secure and able to work out in a safer feeling environment, a gay choir would similarly give like minded people the confidence to be themselves.

There are women only sessions at swimming pools etc etc.

As I see it, when the discrimination is for safety or feelings of security it is fine. When it is just because men don't want women in their golf clubroom and the sport itself is unisex then it is not OK.