lozaqauckers

adding new duck advice ......

Hello to all you fellow duck lover's I currently have 2 female appleyard minatures 1 male and a male east indian I have been given 2 Campbell's which are about a year old both female I am having a bit of trouble With my appleyard girls pecking and chasing the 2 Campbell's will they settle down as there seems to be a lot of quacking it's only been 2 days .. please can anyone advise me thank you . (white duck)(duck)

Hi this is normal behaviour they will peck and chase each other as they are saying get away from my gang leave them to it I find ducks are so much easier to introduce than chickens I put new ducks straight to bed with my older ones couple of weeks and they should have settled in leanne :)

How did it all go? Did they settle down?

Just to show that all things are not always the same, I've mananged to introduce banty hen after banty hen to my chicken flock with no problems at all :D yet last year I tried to introduce a single female call duck to my existing drake and girly call duck. The existing pair kept on and on at the new girl; pulling her feathers out and repeatedly trying to drown her. In the end, as I could not split up the existing pair, I gave them away to a really nice lady who works for the RSPCA (they were to be her pets, and did not end up with the RSPCA) and got another drake to go with the newby.

This year I'd like to add two new girly Call Ducks to my pair and am wondering if that is a good or a very bad idea :think:

The problems may have been because last year's new girly had been brought up with chickens and just did not know how to be a (white duck). She did not even know how to swim properly :shock:

What is your set up? Have you got an emptiable duck 'bath' (Argos child's sand pit is good) put on a base of hard core over which you have put some pea shingle, slightly lower down than the rest of the run?? Then hard wood chips (not bark chips) over hard core for the rest of the ducky area? I think that might work. :think:

Hi Catherine yes I would add a couple more female Ducks if you want them but you are very soft hearted unlike me who is mean :lol: put them in and let them get on with it to a degree I still say if you had left the other girl in with the pair last year she would have been fine .I have moved my big brahma group in a new house and very large pen and thought you lot have plenty of room so I then put a broody pekin and her 4 babies in there Mr Darcy big clumsy boy thought he would take on broody mumma she whipped his butt and he ran away all went in the same house last night if you could see the size difference in the baby pekins to the brahma its unreal no nonsense all fast asleep when I checked and everyone had their head this morning :lol: and Lozaquackers yes put some woodchip down and use stalosan-f powder and that should cure some of your whiffs but ducks are very messy I just let mine roam they don't have a pen that way they are less messy leanne :)