Willow

Ques about teenagers and learning to drive

My ES is about to turn 17 and I'm thinking of buying him some driving lessons for his birthday. It's been so long since I learnt to drive :oops: I can't remember how many lessons it typically takes.

Anyone on here with teens who have recently learnt to drive with any advice ?

I think that is a "how long is a piece of string" question...

Depends on how much practice he can get in between lessons, as well as natural ability and whole attitude (i.e. if boy racer mentality!).

And on the teacher...

The more practice you can give him (if you feel comfortable doing it) the better.

I think my two had 20 each :think: .

YS passed first time. ES failed.

Difference being that YS was living at home at the time (still at school) and had the opportunity to drive little and often. ES was away at Uni and did his lessons during the holidays but did barely any driving with us (my fault, should've made sure he did :( ).

Other difference, YS was keen and enjoyed driving but ES not so much.

I think it depends on whether they are driving in between pa\id lessons. We taught ours and had lessons to top up to make sure they were 'test ready' and knew the routes and test tips. I think they generally say 20 lessons, we had much less. ES only had 3 and passed 1st time. DD had about 12. There is a lesson calculator here for what it's worth. I personally believe that they need 6 months behind the wheel with at least twice weekly trips out before they are competent. DD has just passed 1st time after 5 months but I feel she needs another month to settle in to it properly. We have imposed a curfew and a 1 passenger only rule for the moment. She has learned as a new driver very quickly and is currently getting to grips with motorway driving. 4 1/2 hours to do a 2 hour trip on Friday!:D

On a side note we lost 3 local teenagers on the roads here in the spring, 2 others have life changing injuries and an uninjured driver's life is changed for ever :( It's not something to be rushed in my opinion. Also few new drivers take in that 6 points in their first 2 years of driving will see their licenses revoked (that is all new drivers not just teenagers).

I passed in after 6 months with weekly lessons (minus about 3 weeks where my instructor was on holiday) and passed first time. I didn't have any practice other than my lessons because I didn't have insurance. My boyfriend failed his first test and passed his second, after about 9 months of weekly lessons, and he had practice outside of lessons. As someone else has mentioned, I really enjoyed driving whereas he didn't at first which might make a difference.

Most of our friends were taking their first test after 6 months of weekly lessons (so about 20-25 lessons), but not all passed first time, (and some that did were some of the scariest drivers!)

And again, it depends how much experience they will be getting outside of lessons! I'd also recommend considering the pass plus once they've passed. It's an extra qualification, doesn't really mean much in terms of your licence, but gives you a bit of experience and training in motorways, night driving and adverse conditions while still having the reassurance of the instructor in the passenger seat! :)

I passed my car test 30 years ago with 5 lessons, but I had years of motorcycles first.

Both my DDs' learnt to drive overseas very young 14 and 12 yrs. When home in the UK, ED had 7 lessons and passed, YD had 6 lessons and passed first time.

It sounds brill for them , but they had a few years of driving off road in a variety of vehicles for years prior to coming home to UK for Uni.

My nieces had an average of 14 lessons with a two hour lesson just before their tests .

Hi my YS had his 1st lesson on his 17th birthday and passed first time 8mths later after 20 ish lessons. He was 100% motivated car mad boy. Although he drove carefully he managed to write off his car on a twisty turny country road in darkness in the middle of winter. It was nothing short of a miracle that he and his friends walked away. it could all too easily have been fatal for them all. He bounced off a tree at about 50mph , and landed on its roof in a ditch. Although he is still driving I'm never totally settled till he is in.

For me its about maturity and not how many lessons. If your lad has the maturity to drive carefully in all circumstances go for it. If not there is nothing to lose (but a great deal to gain) by waiting a while. Axx

Lots of useful comments there. I must admit I'm not sure I really want him to drive :shock: we had an awful accident locally the other year where the young lad killed himself and his girlfriend in an accident that a more experienced driver could have avoided :(

Part of my problem is I just don't know what to get him for his birthday, and he wants to do engineering at uni so will be surrounded by petrol heads a year later. He's not too fussed about driving just yet - as long as I continue to give him lifts places he'd probably be quite happy to leave it :lol:

Hi my YS had his 1st lesson on his 17th birthday and passed first time 8mths later after 20 ish lessons. He was 100% motivated car mad boy. Although he drove carefully he managed to write off his car on a twisty turny country road in darkness in the middle of winter. It was nothing short of a miracle that he and his friends walked away. it could all too easily have been fatal for them all. He bounced off a tree at about 50mph , and landed on its roof in a ditch. Although he is still driving I'm never totally settled till he is in.

For me its about maturity and not how many lessons. If your lad has the maturity to drive carefully in all circumstances go for it. If not there is nothing to lose (but a great deal to gain) by waiting a while. Axx

This sounds similar to (not the car mad boy it though :lol: ). I passed my test first time after 6 months and I guess 20-25 lessons. I passed in spring - March time I think - and then in the winter of the same year spun my car on some black ice and ended up in a ditch, car upside down and me swinging from the seat belt. Goodness only knows how, but I walked away with only a few scratches on my ear where the windscreen had popped out, smashed and the glass cut my ear.

I'd definitely recommend extra lessons for winter driving. My accident was down to total inexperience - turns out driving at 70mph on a dual carriageway in icy conditions is not such a good idea :roll: I lived and learned - luckily.

DS passed his after about £400 worth. I paid, for his b'day and Xmas, about £300 of that. he had 2 hr sessions, with parentals in between times. it was about £50 per two hrs.. Expensive!! he's now a named driver on the van and the car, as he can get experience without the £nearly 2k price tag of insuring his own car.

My last and YD passed her test first time after about 15 ish lesson but she had a 125 scooter before so had road sense we also bought her a car before she passed and got her to chauffer us around and drive to her destinations for more practise

YD is 2nd year nursing degree so needs car for early and late shifts and various placements she is currently at Queens burns unit in Birmingham for a month on elective having a car and being able to drive gives us peace of mind so we worry less

Does DS need a car to get to part time work college etc. before going to uni ?

Also one thing to consider is DS going away to UNI ? will he have the extra funds to run a car he may not need a car at uni if it is in a central location ? with good transport.

Why not put money away in an account for lessons when he has an interest in learning that way he knows it is there to start him off when ready plus family can add to for birthdays Christmas etc.