alih Posted August 10, 2013 Share Posted August 10, 2013 I posted here the other day about my staggering, listless, off-balance chicken. I have found the culprit:mites. She is riddled with them. I have thoroughly duster her with diatom and mite powder, separated her but I worried she seems so poorly already I that it is too late. I have read the stickies about license but am wondering what else I might do to help her. I think she needs something fast-acting. She is also not eating and I am trying to tempt her with tuna etc. Any ideas? I am keen not to lose her to something I should be able to sort out. Thanks in advance. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stacey30 Posted August 10, 2013 Share Posted August 10, 2013 Hello, is she drinking? I'd try some apple cider vinegar in the water or maybe a crushed garlic clove in the water. Maybe try some on the spot treatment for dogs/cats. My vet also recommended olive oil syringed in if you can, tried this a few times and it can be helpful. Is she in a wooden coop with mites? What bedding are you using? I've given up the straw as mites can hide in it too... Just sawdust now. Battling the mites myself Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted August 10, 2013 Author Share Posted August 10, 2013 Stacey30, have just got home and put some spot flea treatment for puppies on her as that has been recommended by others here. Never had this before and always had crooks in eglus. Bizarrely none of the others have them but I have separated her for now. She is sinking a tiny bit and I have just hand fed her some baby tomatoes. Let's hope the strong treatment helps overnight as she is a sorry sight. Thank you for replying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 Sorry I did post yesterday...but somehow it isn't on here!! Just wanted to suggest nutri-drops by nettex, they are a great tonic for poorly chickens and stimulate appitite. Also you could make up a pellet porridge for your girlie (just pellets and warm water, add the water and let the pellets swell.....but not to go too soggy) I guess your doing all you can for now so let's hope. Best wishes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stacey30 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 How is she today? Has she managed something to eat? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted August 11, 2013 Author Share Posted August 11, 2013 I have hand fed her some water and some pellet porridge with poultry spice and baked beans, which she loves! She has eaten quite a bit. The critters are definitely dead or dying but she is still very wobbly other legs. Will keep trying to hydrate and feed her every few hours and hope she starts getting her strength up. Thank you for asking! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stacey30 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 That's good to hear Your giving her a great chance and at least the mites are dying. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted August 11, 2013 Author Share Posted August 11, 2013 She is still terribly unsteady on her feet but is at least eating...will keep you posted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 Ah well done you Keep up the good work and keep us posted!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 Fingers crossed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 Fingers crossed from me too that she makes a good recovery. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted August 11, 2013 Share Posted August 11, 2013 Hi I would try her on some chickcrumb,cat food or mushed up boiled eggs if you find the idea of cat food weird just get a fishy flavour good luck leanne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted August 12, 2013 Author Share Posted August 12, 2013 Well today I have got back from work to find Mushu steadier on her feet and wolfing down her pellet porridge which had been there since yesterday. I have given her some tuna/pellet/ poultry spice mush which she is also eating at a rate of knots.....fingers still crossed she is on the mend...will post here if anything else happens but thank you to all you folk for now for helping mend her! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted August 12, 2013 Share Posted August 12, 2013 All you can do is to try and feed her up to boost her strength and immune system; mites and lice will often home in on a sick bird, and the infestation will make them worse. It may be that she also has some underlying health problem too. A pellet porridge with a squirt of a good poultry tonic in it, and some mealworm stirred in should tempt her and help no end. This would be a good time to embark on a regular preventative and treatment programme for al your flock. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Millie-Annie Posted August 13, 2013 Share Posted August 13, 2013 I was about to say the same as The Dogmother. My Josie was riddled with lice but my vet says the lice don't make them ill, an ill chicken gets lice. He says they all have a certain amount but when they are ill they just multiple. I hope she is continuing to improve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted August 13, 2013 Share Posted August 13, 2013 so DM, what would you recommend for a regular lice prevention program? I have had my chickens now for 3 years, just had my second lot of lice. Treated both lot with Nettex (I think) louse powder....the first time, all of the flock had them so gave them 2 lots a week apart. This time only 2 of the older chickens had them and only a few lice, so not nearly as bad as last time. I have also just been given some stuff by someone who didn't want to get chickens but had bought ALL!!! of the stuff diatmous earth or something like that, I think it is a preventative. Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated.....I have been rather laid back about lice til now, but with all this warmer weather perhaps that is why the girls have another dollop of them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alih Posted August 13, 2013 Author Share Posted August 13, 2013 The tips are very much appreciated. Mushu is still slightly tottery so it may well have been something else she was suffering from which weakened her and allowed the mites to take hold. She is definitely happier today. Back with her friends and scratching and dust bathing. She has been wormed and de liced and antibioticed! I would welcome advice too re regular treatment as I have never had to deal with this before. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted August 14, 2013 Share Posted August 14, 2013 A large infestation of red mites in the housing will make a chicken very anaemic and can eventually kill it (as will a heavy worm infestation). Lice and mites will live on any bird which isn't protected, they can (and should) be eradicated, not just for their physical health, but also because the itching makes them very irritable and they end up pecking each other and going off-lay. **There are various different programmes you can use, but bear in mind that as backyard chicken keeping is still relatively new, a lot of the products which a vet will recommend are prescribed off-label as they aren't licensed for use on poultry in the UK.** I use (and can't possibly recommend them as they aren't licensed ) Ivomec Eprinex as a quarterly spot-on; this is manufactured as a cattle pour-on, but my farm vet really rates it to get rid of lice and northern fowl mites. I also use a spray containing permethrin on any lice I see, spraying again one week later to catch any hatching lice/mite eggs. This keeps them lice and mite free all year round, and I am also careful to treat the housing with Total mite kill concentrate and buz busters powder. If you follow a regular regime as you do with your cats and dogs, then they ought to stay bug-free. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted August 15, 2013 Share Posted August 15, 2013 Thank you DM. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...