tiggerlady

Agonies of Indecision..

Evening ladies and gents....once again I find myself in a dreadful state of indecision..I was here a few years ago, and went for a wooden coop rather than an eglu.

Well, we now have the dreaded mites, and rather than buy another wood one and have the same problem, as I understand that getting rid of them is pretty much impossible in a wooden house, I have decided to bite the bullet and get an omlet one. The only problem now is there are the 2 to choose from! The Go has been invented! I have 2 hens atm, but want more, probs only another 2,(we had 4 then one died and the skyline got 'foxed')

Am wondering what the downsides/advantages to either of these are?

And then....do I get a walk in run with a classic or a go????

I think cleaning one out with a run and extension on could be a bit tricky...but how DO you get on with it?? Do you physically pick up the end of the run and swivel it round to clean up? We habve a mostly paved garden, so not like it would be on grass etc

Pleeeeese help me make my decision!

thank you

Another vote for the Cube here.

Cube is so much easier on my back. I have a Classic and a Cube. The Cube can be bumped up onto its wheels to give more head room when cleaning out (and my garden rake and broom reach right to the back of the run) whereas the Classic has to be hauled out of the way as the rake and broom cant be manoeuvred in the tighter space. The classics run is looking a little second hand as a result of being manhandled.

An eglu classic fan here. As for cleaning out the run with extension, for a good clean it is all easier with the eglu removed. Then you can either reach in from the top and bottom end of the run, or move the run to one side. You can swivel it round with the eglu attached too if you have the space. I used to just wear my scruffs and crawl in through the door to clean it out! the other option is an extraordinarily long handled rake! Happily I now have a WIR so all that fun is no longer required :D With a walk in run the eglu classic is big enough for 5 hens to sleep in, and there still seems to be space for more. If you don't plan to have more than 4 hens a cube is probably a bit big although they are fab!

Thanks for the replies, folks...have not shown hubby the aviaries for u site and now we're thinking walk-in run and a classic on one of their little tables.....and I can get that for about the price of a cube..!

I like my girls to have lots of room to run about (don't we all?) They had a big run before, but mr fox got in after 3 years..so not bad going really, I suppose...I know know it wasn't anywhere near secure enough and am lucky we only lost one hen..:((

now we're thinking walk-in run and a classic on one of their little tables

That sounds like a good plan to me :D

I much prefer my (purple eglu) to the (cube purple) . If I decide in the future to have less chickens it would be the (cube purple) that I would get rid of. One of my (purple eglu) is in the WIR it is on the ground but I would like it on a table but it is home to my only remaining ex batt at the moment, Agnes and she is very happy so I will not disturb her.

Enjoy your planning. I also love my WIR, OH made mine I had to wait years but it was worth the wait :D

Chrissie

Actually the fox got in under the roof netting..:(( sorry to tell you that...but I think the netting (plastic) had got brittle over time and he must've just been able to break into it. My eldest was upstairs and heard a commotion going on and went outside armed with a large spirit level and frightened it in to retreat! The chook that died, funnily enough ,there wasn't a mark on her! Must've been fright? One was bald as had lost all her tail feathers and the old one was fine, so now we are looking into options..will def be a metal mesh run now!!

We have a border collie and 6 cats..the back door is open pretty much all day every day and they all wander in and out at will..the day the fox came was the first day the door was shut! Pesky thing must've known!! grrrr :evil:

Just goes to show that even with a free range dog, its no guarantee to ward them off!

Eeeeeks, during the day too....I have net and steel mesh covering the only area a fox could get to but am still gonna get an electric fence top kit. I have a lot of trees hanging over the garden so have to wait until autumn when the leaves drop though. Thanks for the heads up x