LolaLayla

Possible colitis in dog

Lolalayla, Charlie too is on Royal Canin, and he had very similar symptoms twice, once about two years ago and then a few months later. I think that in our case it was due to over-feeding him, making him poo several times in a walk, and apparently that can then make them strain, as they don't feel 'empty', which then causes bleeding. He had diarrhoea too. I re-checked how much we were supposed to feed him and found we gave him way too much, so re-adjusted quantities. I also started giving him soft food too, not just dry kibble (he gets Lily's kitchen tins), and he really likes it, and hasn't had a problem since.

I did think of giving up on Royal Canin, as dry food gets a lot of bad press and my research was a bit scary, but the vets seem to think it's a good food, and the breeder swears by it, and it's easier to store than hundreds of tins of soft food, so decided to mix and it's worked for us.

Glad to hear your doggie is on the mend.

Thanks to Lavenders Blue for suggesting the gulp feeder... Charlie isn't too greedy, but Yeti really scoffs her food, so will get one of those!!

Ziggy - that is really interesting. Lara seems to be back to normal but I suppose she has been eating less as we have not been doing much training so the treats have been reduced :? That last 'blood' incident was last week. A strange thing happened on Saturday though as Lara was acting strangely and tried to go to bed early before her final walk. We persuaded her to go out and she had a really mucus poo. Sorry for being graphic but in it was a small ball of what looked like synthetic thread. We wondered if it was from a damaged toy that we had just thrown out. After that she was alert again and has been normal bowel wise since. I do not know if it was a totally different issue but it is such a relief to have her well again :) I have contacted fish4dogs and the helpful lady there is sending samples for Lara to try.

I am not sure what to do about the Royal Canin. Maybe just cut it back as you suggest. She is not overweight at all, just a steady 5kg. I have taken to scattering her food on the ground until I get the proper bowl. She still manages to eat it so quickly she burps :shock:

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't have thought that eating too fast would cause blood in stools
It wouldn't. What you are describing is classic colitis. I would keep things as they are for the moment and give her a course of decent probiotics such as protexin Pro-kolin + or Synboitic DC. Bopth are good to have in your first aid cupboard anyway. She may have just eaten something that upset her that hasn't settled or she could be a done prone to bouts. I wouldn't change her diet until you have tried this. Then, do it slowly and carefully as if she has a sensitive gut any small change will give her a bout of colitis. It is uncomfortable, it will cause gassy pain and the straining at the end of the 'freshest' poo.

I would keep things as they are for the moment and give her a course of decent probiotics such as protexin Pro-kolin + or Synboitic DC.

Do you think I should give her this even though things appear 'normal' now? If it starts up again do you think I should use this medication as a first line of attack rather than going for the anti inflammatory injection at the vets?

I am very grateful for all the advice. As she is my first dog I feel a bit like a first time mum and not sure what to do sometimes.

Ok :) Will get some of these products to keep by me incase of further problems. I was so worried about her, you start thinking allsorts. OH kept holding her and asking her is she was ok :( Unfortunately she couldn't tell us.

Anyway we have got to think positively and it may just have been a one off. Even if she is going to be prone to this I feel I have a bit more knowledge now. This forum is really great for getting help :D