LolaLayla

Possible colitis in dog

Don't read on if you are of a squeamish disposition as this is a bit of a yucky post!

I had to take my one year old poodle to the vet yesterday as she was unwell. She had been totally fine and then during our walk she did a poo which was normal then did another a while later. On the second occasion she strained a bit as if she hadn't finished and there was blood. The vet examined her, checked her temperature (which was normal) and cleaned her glands (again normal) and gave her an anti inflammatory injection incase it was colitis. Last night she went on a walk and did a poo which was fine. Today when out she did two poos the first absolutely fine the second again at the end there was blood, a drop even dripped on the grass :( She is acting totally normally but as I was worried I called the vet again and was told the injection may not have worked yet and to contact them tomorrow if she is still having these symptoms.

As you can imagine I am very worried about her and wondered if anyone has had any experience of dogs with colitis or any other ideas as to what it may be that is wrong with her.

My Ex's German Shepherd suffers with bowel problems.

He had surgery a couple of years ago to relieve many of his symptoms. He is on a wheat free diet , i think it is "super " dog food from Batleys wholesale as his local pet shops don't sell it, he also is on medication . Don't know what, takes one every three days and another weekly . They seem to control him well .

Had thought the first time maybe she had eaten something that had caused the problem but as it always seems to be at the final bit of second poo I don't think it can be the case. Maybe a change of diet will be needed :? She eats Royal Canin and loves it. She was on Hills when she was a puppy but didn't like the adult meal so I changed her food a couple of months back. Interesting to hear people's thoughts. Thank you.

It could well be something in the diet irritating her gut. I don't know enough to say whether it would take as long as a couple of months to show, but certainly a dietary intolerance making her gut inflamed could be the culprit. It's definitely something to discuss with the vet and perhaps try a diet that's as natural as possible? A high meat content and few/no grains seem to suit a lot of dogs with allergies (and without!) as there's less of the common allergens.

Protexin sy"Ooops, word censored!"iotic capsules can this sort of thing out if they have eaten something they haven't. I capsule (or chewable tablets) daily for a day or 2 can dry things up. If my dog has the raging squits overnight for some reason, I give her one in food and she is fine the following day :) Of course this may not be the case for every dog, some may need to take them for longer and others may need veterinary intervention,

Thanks for replies. Her bowels are not loose. Like last night, I took her for a walk tonight and she did one poo which was totally normal with no sign of blood. It seems to be that if she does a 2nd poo on a walk that is when you see the blood at the end :( I need to hope that the injection may still work and will find out tomorrow I suppose. Apart from the blood you would not know anything was wrong with her, she is totally her normal self :?

I will certainly need to think about diet etc but I think the vet will send a sample off if this continues.

If she's otherwise well, then you can probably rule out nasties like parvo and camplobactor. Did the vet take a stool sample?

The vet said if it continued to go back and get a sample bottle. I think she maybe said 3 samples were needed. I do not think it could be parasites as she is wormed and flead up to her eyeballs. Advocate every 4 weeks and Droncil (sp?) every 6 months.

Things followed the same pattern today but there was less blood when she strained at the end. She must feel as if there is something there to do this straining (she is not constipated). So as there looks like an improvement I did not call the vet and will see what tomorrow brings.

As I mentioned before she is eating and acting totally normally apart from this poo problem :(

When they strain a lot, it can mean (among other things) that they have impacted anal glands, but she's had those emptied, so probably not. Does she eat plenty of raw bones and have hard stools?

The vet got some brown gunk out the glands and said they were fine. To my mind what she produces is firm (easily picked up with no mess left on grass) but not hard as in constipated. She does not get raw bones I really am not keen from the health point of view as sometimes I have young children to visit. She gets her dried food (with plenty of water available) and some treats eg small bits of dog biscuit or dog treats. She also gets chews.

She must feel as if there is something there to do this straining (she is not constipated).(
Classic colitis, is there any jelly like stuff that comes out with the blood?

Yesterday there was more of a drip of blood. Today there was less and a bit slimy. I am hoping if it is colitis the injection will soon settle things but the vet said the effect would only last for 5 days.

She has just been for her evening walk and as before she just went once and it was normal. One thing I noticed, and she has done this before I was aware of any problem, is suddenly looking round when out walking on the lead. It is as if something jags her and she looks quickly to see what it is but just continues walking when she sees nothing. I wonder if she feels something is nipping :?

All I can say in that case is it can't be too awful if she's still full of beans. A long shot, but is it possible she's just eating a bit too much? I know if Tango eats too much (normally when hubby feeds her :roll: ) she tends to poo more than once on a walk (normally it's just the once) and the second one can be a bit mucus-y. I just cut back her food for a few days and keep her diet really plain, then back to normal once all is well.

Maybe a few days on a really bland diet (fish/chicken and potato is good) might help settle things? Or a soothing supplement like slippery elm which is good for the digestion?

Supplements may be a good idea. Also if it continues the bland diet for a while may sort things. I don't think I will change anything just now though until the 5 day injection period is over.

She has her food 2x per day but bolts it. So much so when she comes through having had her meal she usually gives a huge burp :shock:

Again on her two poo walk yesterday there was some blood in mucus in what she produced...but just a tiny amount. It is getting less each day :) What confuses me is that what she first produces is fine and then the second amount, which is softer has the red blood. You would think that something that has moved from further up the digestive tract would have dark blood not fresh :? I have taken to throughly examining everything :vom:

Maybe try an anti gulp feeder if she's prone to bolting her food.

This is one type Anti Gulp Bowl or this one gets rave reviews Green Feeder.

Alternatively you could just scatter her kibble across the floor, which is what I used to do when Tango was on kibble. It meant she had to eat them one at a time rather than inhale a huge mouthful.

Maybe try an anti gulp feeder if she's prone to bolting her food.

Thanks for that :) I didn't know you could get such a thing. Interestingly she has only started this in the last couple of months since moving her to the new food as she likes it so much. Before she would eat a little at a time over the day as it obviously wasn't really delicious. I now wonder if this could possibly have caused the problem :?:?

I wouldn't have thought that eating too fast would cause blood in stools, although the change in diet could possibly do that... I take it that the new food is gluten free?

Despite some people recommending boiled chicken and rice for dogs with poorly digestion, I know of some dogs which can't tolerate either. Mine have a wee bit of gluten free fish kibble but mostly raw; they have cast iron guts :lol:

DM her food is Royal Canin but I have looked at the ingredients and it says it has maize gluten. She does also have biscuity snacks etc Maybe I should be putting her to gluten free :?

Today the good news is that although it was the two poo walk there was only a second or two of straining at the end and a couple of drips of brown liquid. No blood :dance: and believe me I checked everything fully! So basically the straining has greatly reduced from the start of the week and no blood now. I wonder if it was the anti inflammatory injection that did the trick :? I am so happy and just hope this will not recur. If things seem ok I think I will try to alter her diet a bit.

Try her on some fish-based kibble - Fish4Dogs are good about sending out samples and they do a small dog size too. It's grain-free too.

I'd be tempted to get some Dorwest Herbs' Tree Barks Powder, which is gentle and very calming on an irritated gut.

Thanks for that info I will give it a go :)