Dolly

Crop surgery

One of my hens has what feels like a couple of stones stuck in her crop for about 5 days now. After trying massage and all the usual things I took her to the vet on Friday (typically the day we were off on holiday!) who gave her an injection of metaclorpromide and syringed fluid into her crop to see if this would shift them.

So we came back from holiday today to find her well, but still with the stones in her crop, also it felt a bit more 'squishy' than usual which the vet said could happen if food didn't pass through properly.

She's going back to see the vet tomorrow, however he said if the stone's hadn't passed, she'd need to have a local anaesthetic and a small incision in her crop to remove them. While this seems a bit drastic to me, I don't know what else to do - does anyone have experience of this problem you could share with me?

Thanks!

A friend had one done with just local anesthetic. she was a very calm hen, I held her while the vet made a small incision and proceeded to empty the grass impacted crop. stitched her up and was done. I personal had another emptied under GA. no trouble although sadly I was incorrect she had not been eating the straw.. So although the operation was a success the outcome was not as she was blocked with tumours in her intestine... :(

Another of mine a very very old ex bat has just had a successful operation on her leg under GA all is good. My various vets say the anesthesia they use now is much better tolerated .

However as with all species and us there is always a risk !!!