Luvachicken

How do I get dried blood out of a white pillowcase ?

When I've washed things with blood on before, the blood never really comes out properly.

Whilst staying to look after my poorly dog Daisy, my Dad accidently got blood on his pillowcase - a brand new set I treated them to.

Because of the weather and sorting out poor Daisy's stuff to wash first, the blood is now dried on.

How do I get all of the blood out so I have a nice white pillowcase - not one with a yellow stain ?

The label says 100% cotton and to avoid strong detergents and softeners.

I usually use 'Grandma's Secret Spot Remover' but it doesn't always work and I didn't want to spoil the new pillowcase by using it.

Soak in COLD water, and rub with salt to clean the stain out.

Thanks Olly, how long do I soak it for ?

Salt works well. I also find that 100% cotton bedding stands up to high temp washes pretty well. I always wash my bedding at 60 degrees plus and use big box Ariel professional. If I have soiled bedding I use some Napisan in with the powder too. I find modern washing pods and tablets useless, and will only wash woollens at less than 40 degrees. I saw another atricle this week about sick laundry syndrome, owing to the increased use of low temp washes.

if you've already washed and item with blood on it then soaking it in salt water doesn't work as the heat from washing it set the dried blood and no amount of washing shifts it. as I know from experience having been a glazier all my working life cuts are a hazard of the job so are blood stained handkerchiefs and tee shirts as you tend to use what's at hand to stem the blood and a little blood goes a long way

I soaked it overnight, and rubbed it with the salt, but not much happened to it. So before I washed it I used Grandma's spot formula, that didn't do anything either, so then I rubbed some washing liquid into it and then I washed it at 60 degs. It was still there, admittedly not as bad but still there.

I am washing it again but this time I gave it a good rub with some bicarb and then some napisan.

Something must shift it :roll:

Leave in the sun - that shifts a LOT of stuff.

I had a lovely white skirt, but somehow got some horrendous black mark down in. Never did work out what it was.

I left it in the conservatory for a few weeks (was winter and very black), you could see the stain getting lighter and lighter and now as good as new.

Also removes poo stains from my 4month old DS clothes and bedding very quickly and effectively so don't need to use very hot washes all the time...