Lavenders_Blue

The badger cull has started :(

Yes, I think it is dreadful. I have two sets of cousins who are dairy farmers so I know the issues but it does seem to me that there is no confirmed foundation for the belief that badgers cause TB in cattle. In fact in one organic heard in Devon it seems that they co-exist extremely well and TB has not made its appearance at all there even while the number of badgers has greatly increased. It seems to me that it is just a publicity stunt to keep farmers happy. :evil:

Agreed. I am already vegetarian, but I have been thinking a lot about whether I want to support the dairy industry now in light of this. I like goats' milk and cheese so it would be no great hardship for me to switch. I know that's tough on the farmers who are trying to make a living, but I am not sure I'm prepared to support the cull of badgers by buying dairy... If a cattle vaccine were to be introduced (or the badger vaccine which already HAS been produced) then I'd happily support that.