oneyolktoanother

Do I leave the air vent open

Had to take one of my girls to the vet as she has been wheezing she is on tylan. I was reading a chicken magazine and it says when there moulting as the feather dander etc you should leave the air vent open on the coop, does anyone leave there air vent open in the winter??

Also my other girl had impacted crop and the op and us doing very well on the run floor we use natural wood chip but the vet said its best to get that out and leave them on concrete I'm not convinced as they like to scratch about any ideas please

My guess would be a yes, as ventilation is very important as they produce a lot of moisture. I still have 4 chooks sleeping alfresco in the willows despite my interventions they will not have it! I only close one coop out of three as I bung the newbies in there or they will come right back out again. I never closed the doors last winter at all as we had a mild one but even if just frost due I would leave them open or close half way down. They cuddle up together and as long as they roost or cover their toes they are just fine.