clucker1

Cocker spaniel working help please

We are considering getting a cocker spaniel working type in the Summer. OH likes them which is the main thing considering he is a non doggy type. Essentially it will be a family dog, kids aged 16 and 12. I have time on my hands each day to walk/exercise/agility/train it. Did have terriers a long time ago, when I was late teens. Hoping a working cocker spaniel type won't be too much. Was looking at cockapoos,OH not keen and I prefer the look of a cocker spaniel, would feel safer out on a walk with it. Plus it seems they will be devoted to their owner. Any thoughts/ breeder recommendations anyone. Thank you :D

I have a 22 month old cocker spaniel, show type, called Neela, who is lovely if bonkers! I know people who have the working type and they tend to need more exercise during the day both mental and physical.

From what I know of my dog, and not all are the same, she is very dependent on me (not the best thing in the world as she mopes if I go anywhere). I found her relatively easy to train basic commands, and she will 8 times out of 10 come when called. Neelas, best friend is a chocolate cockerpoo and they play together really nicely. The cockerpoo is a very social dog and she just loves playing with all the dogs in the park, big or small.

I can't recommend a breeder although if you were looking last summer my friends working cocker had her first litter. I would look around. You will get a feel for a good breeder and a bad bad one. I saw several who, just from their ads, didn't seem right. The pups need to be in a family home so they are used to all the noises associated with that and you need to see them with their mum (which I am sure you know about ). If you wanted KC reg dogs, have a look at their website as they have lists of breeders which you can narrow down. I found mine through there. You don't need to have your pup KC reg, I just found it reassuring to see her lineage. Champ dogs website also has lists. You need to make sure they have had their eyes and hip scores tests done as these are weak point for this breed.

I look forward to hearing about your adventures to your possible new family edition :D

We have a working cocker. I don't think we could ever wear him out, he is happy to go out in whatever the weather and will keep going all day. He is a pet, we don't work him but I am sure he would love it if we did. He is very intelligent but his one draw back is if he is off the lead and something distracts him he completely switches off and won't come back until he is ready. I'm sure that could be overcome with more training. He also manages to escape from the garden if he finds the smallest hole! But he is a great dog to have.

If you can get hold of a copy of the current 'Your Dog' magazine, there is a piece in there about the difference between working and show cockers, and which homes they would suit. I don't really know anything about cockers, but just be aware that a dog bred from a line of working dogs will have a strong instinct to work, and also bundles of energy. Agility is a great outlet for this, as is gun dog training (you don't have to want to work your dog to do this). The mental exercise for 'worky' dogs is just as important as physical. My little Heinz 57 is quite high drive and 1/2 hour of agility training wears her out far more than a 2 hour walk!