igobarefoot

Peritonitis strikes again

Well my worst fears over Hilda a couple of months ago have been confirmed and we lost our dear sweet girl yesterday to the dreaded peritonitis :(

Kicking myself now as I should have implanted her back in Feb when I took her to the vet with a squishy tummy. I don't like how the implant changes their personality so I didn't seriously consider it as she seemed ok otherwise but she swelled up so quickly the last few days and it was all too late by then. If only I'd done it back then we'd still have her today. That's my second girl lost in as many months and I'm heartbroken. She was gorgeous, so tame, really friendly and chatty and an absolute beauty. Only 2 years old, no age at all for a pure breed.

Will miss her so much and just can't stop crying :(

I'm sorry to read your post. I lost a little girl to septic peritonitis last week - the first time I've had to deal with it, not pleasant and the vet seemed to think there was nothing that could be done.

Sleep tight little Hilda, perhaps you'll meet up with my girl Noodle and they can have a good natter!

So sorry to hear about poor Hilda but please don't beat yourself up about not getting an implant, as by the time they have peritonitis it's really only a matter of time no matter what you do. I had my beloved Roxy implanted after many soft eggs causing her laying problems but it only gave her relief for 6 weeks, then she started laying again :? She wasn't herself after having it and moulted suddenly and quite dramatically, I'm not sure I'd do it to one of my girls again.

It's hard to lose a special girl but she was obviously much loved and you gave her a wonderful life.

I've had the odd hen with peritonitis before (pure breeds tend not to get it) I have never gone the implant route, just taken care of then until such time as it was obvious that their quality of life was impaired, then despatched them. I'm afraid that it is a bit of a one-way road where peritonitis is concerned.

Thanks girls, and sorry you've also lost hens to this dreaded illness :(

Hilda is the fourth chook I've lost to peritonitis, but my first pure breed. I went over to pure breeds in the hope of avoiding it, but it seems no girl is 100% safe.

One week on and I'm still missing her terribly. Have started thinking about getting some new girls but will wait a few months first I think as can't quite face the thought of replacing her just yet.