Bramble

Extend my Cube Run or get an Omlet WIR?

I've currently got a cube with a 3m run and am looking to extend the run with another 1m extension (2 would be even better ... :whistle: ) Anyway, the extensions are £100+ each, unless I can get a second hand one, which is probably not very likely.

My question is really, would I be better to wait, save up and get an Omlet WIR instead (think I'd go for the one to attach to the Cube run, to give maximum space inside it) ...

What do those of you with Omlet WIRs really think of them - I'm particularly concerned about whether they'd be at all likely to blow away in a gale (I'm guessing not, but wanted to check.

I do let the girls out to FR, but only when I'm around to supervise (this isn't a big area for foxes, but that could change and anyway, it only takes one fox to be passing at the wrong moment ... :( ) so I'd like them to have as much run space as possible.

Thanks guys!

I had an omlet WIR attached to my cube and loved it, it was so nice not to have to keep bending down. I have rcently sold it only because I needed a bigger run. Never any problems in wind etc. My only critism would be that it would be nice with a roof or custom made covers as we ended up covering it with tarps which looked quite messy. I have all bantams so wanted it to be dry inside.

We love our Omlet WIR. It's completely stable and copes well even with slight undulations on the ground. We cover ours with transparent tarpaulins held taut with cable ties and bungees and it looks pretty tidy. You can roll the sides up/down according to the weather and ours stayed dry inside all through last winter. Being green it is also surprising u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive in the garden. Another bonus is that it can be moved. Not that easily admittedly if you only wanted to do it within the same garden but a Godsend when we moved house last year as it was taken down and re-erected within days, which couldn't have been done nealry so easily with a wooden construction. Overall, I highly recommnend the Omlet WIR.

Thanks everyone, the Omlet WIR is looking more appealing (hadn't even given it a thought until this time yesterday :roll: ) but the thought of not having to crawl around on my hands and knees to clean out the run is quite appealing.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to assemble by myself? I know the Cube said it was two person assembly and I managed that easily by myself - I guess the big problem will be getting the roof on?

Think I might need to start saving ... :anxious:

I would say it isn't possible to do single-handed! You have to hold multiple large bits up/together and cope with attaching the fiddly nail-breaking clips at same time. It is 'easy' and 'quick' to assemble if you interpret that as requiring at least a half if not a full day, with quite a bit of patience and a lot of expletives involved. The Omlet instructions are in image form only - to be honest some simple sentences explaining things would have been helpful - but logical enough i guess. Do check you order the version specific to your requirements i.e. Eglu Classic/Cube/Go/Up and are you attaching direct to one of those or to one of their runs. And people often seem to find they are missing bits on dleivery (which we didn''t) so if you do order one check you've got everything before you start assembling it! It will be worth the effort though (and don't forget the tarpaulin covers or equivalent. Omlet ones are expensive but a 6m x 2m transparent one from Tarpaflex stretches beautifully across the top and down both sides, held by bungees/cable ties, so I recommend one of those.

Thanks Lunakiw1!

I remember when my Cube came there were various bits missing (due mainly, I suspect to a HUGE hole in one of the boxes).

I tend to think instructions like that are sort of useful to help establish you've got all the bits you should have, then working on a picture of the finished product is a better way to assemble it than trying to follow instructions!

Thanks! 8)

I was concerned about the height and stability of the walk in run, plus trying to put it together on my own. Have been busy saving up for one so delighted that they have now brought out a 1.16m height one. That is perfect for me as I don't want to stand in it with them as they come out into the garden anyway.