HENthusiastic

Just got a hive .... Now I'm worrying!!

Oh has wanted bees for ages. I've just got her a hive and now I'm worrying! Was this a little rash? Will they sting the chickens?

We have 2 very good friends who are bee keepers, but should she still go on a course or will she learn enough from reading on here and if I get her a good book?

Will she need all the equipment straight away?

Eak! Hope this wasn't daft.

Ps ITS A SECRET!!

Well, I hope OH doesn't read this then! :lol:

If by 'all the equipment' you mean a smoker and a beesuit, then yes - even beginners need this! A jacket and veil is sufficient rather than a full beesuit. She will also really need to go on a course, unless your friends can mentor her very closely, beekeeping is best learnt by watching and hands-on experience rather than from a book - at least a one-day course to learn how to take the hive apart and put it together, how to handle bees and some very basic knowledge about disease and colony management.

When you say you've bought a hive ... do you mean just a hive, or is it a hive full of bees?

The bees won't sting the chickens, don't worry about that. Bees are fascinating and fabulous and you won't regret this but it may have been a little impetuous. Our local agent who sells beekeeping equipment won't sell a hive to anyone unless they have actually seen one in action, because there are a few people who just can't cope with seeing thousands of bees despite really wanting to keep them. As you have friends who are beekeepers, I'm guessing your OH has perhaps already seen inside one.

A really good book is Ted Hooper's 'Bees & Honey', but before you buy equipment I would either ask your friends for advice or 'fess up and get your OH's involvement. It would be an expensive mistake to buy the 'wrong' kit, it's quite a personal thing and she will really need to get to know what suits her. I'm sure she'll be thrilled and delighted.

Right ho - thanks guys. I'll get her booked on a course. She has been to visit both our friends hives a number of times and spent quite a bit of time chatting bees! Our friend chose the hive I got her and he's very experienced. He also lives nearby and has said he will help her. His bees have recently swarmed and he's said he may be able to let her have one of the swarms if the queen has mated and is laying eggs.