Harlequin

How can I encourage them to stay?

Hello. I am new to the forum and also to ducks. We got 3 ducklings a few weeks ago and it is their first night tonight in their eglu outside as they have been indoors up until now. So I will have a nervous night tonight worrying about them and if they are ok

We do not have a secure garden and I do want the ducks to be free range and be able to wander about the garden, but does anyone have any tips on how we can stop them just wandering off. We have 3 ducklings, so are wondering about only ever letting 2 out at a time in the hope they won't want to leave their other friend, but any of your expert suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :D

What breed are they?

Generally if they know the eglu is home and has food they will stay. Maybe keep them in for a couple of weeks before free ranging them together but they should be fine.

You'll notice they will calm down and settle more when they start laying too :)

Hi have I read correctly it says you do not have a secure garden well depending on their age rats,crows and magpies will have them and once older just watch out for foxes my ducks are freerange and have been for 9 years but this year I am having terrible fox trouble leanne :)

Hello and thanks for your kind welcome. They are khaki Campbell's They are 4 weeks old at the moment and I wasn't planning to let them be free range until they are fully grown. At the moment they live in the eglu and run but I would like them to be able to wander round the garden when we are our there, not wander off and come back into the eglu at night (maybe I am being a bit hopeful here). I also live in Fareham, miller30 so hello neighbour.

I have khakis too they will be fine to freerange when you are home one of the reasons I like mine to just roam free is if they are penned up the pen becomes a stinky mess in no time like my trio of cherry valleys who have to be penned as I sell my eggs for hatching well today thanks to the weather they look more like my cayugas black :lol: and how funny you are in Fareham too leanne :)