jacquie879

Ex - batts access to cube?

Hi

I am getting 6 ex batts in a couple of weeks. I have an Eglu (which will be too small for them) and a Cube.

My concern is how can I make it easier for them to get into the cube, I know that it does have a little ladder but am concerned that this will be too difficult for them to work out especially as their legs won't be particulary strong for a while.

I wondered if anyone on this forum has been in this situation too and what what you did.

Thanks

Jacquie

Someone had the same problem recently. Their new ex-batts couldn't get in or out down any steps. It was too complicated as they had never used steps before and I think they didn't have sufficient balance anyway. So the steps were replaced with a long wide plank and that solved the problem immediately. No doubt when they are fully conditioned they will be able to manage steps.

Thanks, what a good idea but just found out that the rescue hens I'll be getting are free range but have past their commercial usefulness so hopefully they won't have a problem with the ladder.

The commercial free range girls had very little problem with the ladder. I put a log at the bottom of the ladder and had to shove them in for the first few nights when they didn't know where bed was but after that they have been fine :D

I used to put the ex-batts in the cube for their first night and leave them to find their own way out in the morning. Once one had risked the ladder, the others soon followed :D

The gaps in the original ladder seemed to worry them, so I made solid ladders with closer steps out of thick mdf with quadrant dowelling, and drilled holes through to attach to the current ladder with cable ties. I'm not great at diy, and they were easy to make (got b&q to cut the mdf to size) in an afternoon. Both cubes have them and the hens took to them much more quickly than the original.

They will rot in the fullness of time, though they've already lasted over 6 years and through 3 house moves :D

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will use a plank with batons or something at the bottom of the ladder to give them a start on the ladder but will be off work for a couple of days to monitor how they get on with it. I'm sure they'll be fine as like you say when they've seen one do it they're pretty good at catching on.

Thanks

Jacquie