Old Speckled Hen

Heads up re Diatomaceous Earth

I've been discussing this on another forum. Very alarming!

The recommended maximum exposure level for crystalline silica is being dropped from 100 micrograms per cubic meter to 50 micrograms per cubic meter. The limit for the presence of crystalline silica in DE is 1% so if you dust you chickens with just 100g of DE per cubic meter you will be 20,000 times over the recommended exposure level !!!!!!!

It's difficult to get a grip on the size of the problem associated with inhalation of silica because it takes many years for the effects of low level inhalation to become apparent. Also, whilst some patients will be diagnosed with silicosis because they worked in a high risk job, others will be diagnosed with IPF because there won't necessarily be a directly identifiable link to crystalline silica viz;

Silicosis:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/silicosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_pulmonary_fibrosis

Mods....important enough to leave on the main forum?

Sounds alarming, but I suspect it's unlikely to be an issue for those with a few hens.

The regulations state that that level of exposure is measured as the the average continuous exposure over an 8 hour shift, based on 10 hours a day/40 hours a week (and presumably 47ish weeks a year, although I can't see this bit in the paper).

That's a bit different to puffing or dusting a small amount of diatom in the nooks, crannies, and perches of a henhouse on an infrequent basis .

If I'm doing a large area - like the whole of the inside of a shed - with *any* product (Diatom, Staolosanm spraying poultry shield) then I wear a disposable face mask.

Thanks for the clarification Old Speckled Hen. Fortunately I haven't got any to throw away. I've heard of people feeding the stuff to their chickens against worms! Dusting them with it seems to be general practice as is liberally scattering it in the coops. Of course wing flapping will send dust up all over the place, as will any breeze when you open the coop up to clean.

I won't be throwing mine away - I agree with Witch Hazel that using it for short periods is unlikely to be a high risk. I rarely use it anyway, in fact last time I got it out was to put around plants to keep slugs off.

It is sensible to wear a mask if you're working with anything that creates dust but frankly I probably inhale more icing sugar than anything else!

I used to use these things but then decided anything that puffed up dust that would get in my body wasn't great. I was always breathing it in or getting it on my clothes so haven't used anything for quite a while. Started to use stalosan in the winter but OH took over because I was getting more on me than the run. That's the last powdery stuff I've used.

don't they put it in/around human food - such as grain to stop infestations?

Presumably there's a different risk from ingesting, rather than inhaling, it?

inhaling dust is the problem as it gets in the lungs and stays there

if your using a mask you need to make sure it's the right one for the job most DIY grade masks aren't always suitable for fine particles or liquid vapours they just make the user feel safe

You are only at risk if you inhale a large amount of dust over a number of years (20 or more). Dusting your chickens is very unlikely to cause you to inhale large amounts of dust. Large amounts of dust can be created by demolition work etc. If you want a mask, get a decent one, like this

Inhalation of crystalline silica is harmful to the lungs. But Diatomaceous Earth is mostly made from amorphous silica which is considered to be low toxicity.

I won't be throwing mine away - I agree with Witch Hazel that using it for short periods is unlikely to be a high risk. I rarely use it anyway, in fact last time I got it out was to put around plants to keep slugs off.

It is sensible to wear a mask if you're working with anything that creates dust but frankly I probably inhale more icing sugar than anything else!

:lol: do you wear a mask when you're baking Olly. I love inhaling icing sugar :D

[quote name="Chickabee" :lol: do you wear a mask when you're baking Olly. I love inhaling icing sugar :D

I always say icing sugar should be used for crowd control instead of tear gas, the darned stuff gets blooming everywhere. You can't beat walking around in a bra full of icing sugar for an uncomfortable experience :doh:

I'm a bit confused about this. Ive been researching it on the internet, there's nothing to say that it's terribly harmful. Apparently it's safe to eat, but not so safe to inhale. However animals exposed to it over long periods (not something I'm happy about), showed no significant signs of increased disease contraction. It's a bit annoying because I know your not making it up, I would like all the info possible. DE is present in many things, including pesticides, which of course will be airborne. Is something being covered up ?