coco

laying in strange places.

I have a tiny serama that lays in the bag of layers pellets. As soon as I let her outvof the run she is straight into the greenhouse and into the paper bag of pellets, she gets quite cross when the sides of the bag fold in when she is trying to get in it, she even managed to get it in the food scoop once. Anyone else have hens that regularly lay in odd places.

No but I tell you what I do have. An egg eating little madam. She had taken to popping in to the cube and just sitting on the roosting bars all nonchalant like when someone is in the nest box. As soon as they have laid she tries to swoop in and consume the said goodie!! Naughty Betty boo!!!

Yup! Am hearing the egg song outside my kitchen window but darned if I can find the 'extra' hidey place! Know to look in the hedge, and a leghorn has taken to laying under a conifer but sure there are more but..... Tis summer and they do that to me every year! They can build up a nest right under your nose, no matter how hard you look.......you find it when there are about 20+ eggs in it!! :)

A breeder near us has a hen that also lays in pellets Coco. She uses a bucket to go round the pens and when it is finished and filled up a free ranging hen jumps into it and lays. I'm always concerned if hens take to laying outside the nest boxes, because it could signify the presence of red mite in the coop. Worth checking.