quickcluck

Feeling naffed off and ignorant!

Bought some lovely new fish on the weekend for one of our tanks. Painted glass fish and painted tetras... I love our glass fish and seeing these with a tiny bit of colour was lovely, same with the tetra, a beautiful stripe down the back...

Was going back this week to get some more, so thought i'd read more about them, only to discover that the poor fish are injected with dye :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: I am totally shock and feeling naive and ignorant. Being a veggie it really goes against the grain, even my DH was shocked. Obviously we will not be getting more.

There was even a small campaign to stop it from happening! They came from what I thought was a good aquatic shop!!

Grrrrr and very sad...

Buying any fish in any fish shop probably will go against your beliefs as a vegetarian.

Most tropic fish are bred in warmer climates and are flown in by plane under quite bad circumstances. They are kept in big bags by the dozens in coolers and often medicated with antibiotics and given anesthatics to make sure they move less. They are starved before travel to prevent them from killing themselves by pooping in the water.

Loads don't make it alive to their destination.

There will definately be some breeders in the UK. But since tropical fish need a certain temperature, it's cheaper to breed them in countries with a warmer climate and fly them in. Even including a flight on a plane, it is still cheaper.

Just ask your local store who their supplier is.

I can't believe painted glass fish are still available - I worked in aquatics YEARS ago and they were available then but we refused to stock them because of the welfare issues - there was lots of publicity about them then so I'm astounded it's still going on - awful :o

Simply because they are fish and not mammals. Many people are still convinced, including scientists, that fish don't feel pain in the same way mammals do. Although the scientific consensus is also shifting.

This is why fish can be caught in nets and left to die by suffocation. And people are allowed to lure fish with food and then trick them into biting in a sharp hook, that then is lodged in their jaw.

Imagine catching rabbits or foxes in the same way...

I do eat fish, but this is why I don't eat shellfish due to the way they are cooked/killed :( I believe fish have feelings and should be treated accordingly. At least you know now about the dye and can stop buying them. And maybe even let the aquatics centre know. Maybe they aren't even aware.