WitchHazel

Bank Account Switching

DH and I have two joint current accounts, one which is used to pay all Standing Orders and Direct Debits for everything we can budget for (our "Bills" account), and one which is mainly our cash account and which is used as a transfer account when savings mature etc.

A few months ago we decided to move our Bills account to Nationwide, and we used their switching service with the old account being closed at the end of the process. This worked really well, and all was done within the promised 7 days.

I would definitely recommend it.

We've been getting furstrated with our other account, and last week I decided to swutch that too. I didn't want to go with Nationwide for a second account (banks sometimes have systems problems, and I like to have money accessible from two unrelated banks), and I decided to try First Direct. This time I didn't use the switching service, becauseI didn't want to close the original account yet. So, I did everything manually. This meant I didn't get the switching bonus, but that doesn't matter as I didn't choose FD for that reason.

My goodness, but First Direct were efficient! We applied online and were accepted immediately. We were given our account number and sort code at the end of the application process and I was able to set up telephone banking immediately. Once I had that set up, I was able to use the FD app on my phone. I set up test transfer from my old bank, which worked. I then set up my payees so I could transfer to other accounts. Tested everything with a transfer each way, and all this was working the same day! Our new cards two days later, and PINS two days after that. Very happy, and would recommend them too.

Both banks have excellent phone apps, and the online banking is good too. Both are so much better than the banks I was with before - neither of which had phone apps, and neither seemed to have invested anything in their online banking functionality in all the years I'd been with them.

If I had had problems with the switching process, I would probably have come on here to moan about it.... so I thought I'd come and share my positive experience too.

That's great to know, WitchHazel - I'd like to switch banks - mainly to try and find one that still has a branch that I could get to if needed (how quaint!), but the switching process had put me off - perhaps I should give it a try - interestingly, I've heard really good things about First Direct from others and of course they don't have branches at all!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

I used to work for HSBC, so dealt with First Direct customers regularly. I don't ever remember a FD customer who was unhappy with the service, at the time they were unusual in having a 24/7 telephone service so you could phone them at 2am if you really wanted to!

I know they are also rated well on the Money Saving Expert website.

Funny that this should come today, I have been sorting out bank accounts today and I am tempted to switch one of our two current accounts. I have just opened a 5% current account with TSB and their set up was very straight forward, I was given an account number and sort code straight away which enabled me to pay across the full amount for interest to kick in immediately. I may well look at switching my DDs etc, thanks for sharing your positive experiences. Like you say we are all quick enough to moan, so it is good to hear positive comments too. :D

I had a First Direct account for years and loved it, only swapped because then (over 10 years ago) they didn't have an 'offset' mortgage product and I had to bank with Virgin to take advantage of the One Account. Virgin have been good, but recently I decided I want a second account to keep some things separate and I've just opened a First Direct account again. It's great to hear a good review!

I've been an FD customer for many years and am very happy with them :D On the rare occasion there has been an issue - and it has always been my fault there was an issue - they have always been quick to help me sort things out and always pleasant to deal with over the phone.

Because I've been with them so long, I don't have any recent experience of other banks, but i would be happy to recommend FD to anyone thinking of switching (and there's not many financial institutions would get my recommendation!)

We went with Virgin One because of our mortgage and it was brilliant - our mortgage was paid off years before the allocated time. But the snag was rubbish interest rates on savings. So we swapped to Santander - I think we had to pay for the privilege but the interest plus the fact they actually pay you to use them - bonus for standing orders/direct debits/bills and other monthly outgoings, we have more than covered our expenses in a short space of time - actually in the first month we were doing nicely. Add that to the credit card when they pay you to use it and it seems a good option. I know they have had a poor review but we haven't had any problems at all. Virgin being part of RBS did have that problem when the RBS went skewiffy recently and they were sending us letters to say our payments had been bounced (turned out no payments were but it still scared us - and I got really angry because we have never had things bounce before).

So we've been with Santander for quite a few months now and OH is really happy with the service (he does like doing his financial advising bit and tells me all these things and whoosh over my head it goes :lol: ) so perhaps they're addressing the previous issues.