BlueSilver

Polytunnel or greenhouse?

This is an awkward query, I suppose, but I want one of these in my lower garden, I'm just not sure which to go for -the main issue for me is I need something which I can get a team of people to build for me as I am no longer able to do this sort of thing myself. In a quandary as the polytunnels look a more economical option but all the companies I see selling them assume people will put them up themselves. Greenhouses more expensive but it seems a given people will need someone to build them.

Does anyone have some feedback on either polytunnels or greenhouses for someone a bit less able or some leads on companies which also do installation?

I have a polytunnel Bluesilver, it was originally put up by my OH and the local horticulture college where I was studying at the time. Last year it was re-covered by a company recommended to me by the original suppliers of the tunnel, so I think lots of companies who sell them will have a list of installers and be able to tell you one in your area.

I bought my tunnel from Clovis Lande, but it is a small commercial tunnel so it may depend what size you are after.

Hope this helps :) .

We have a small 6 x 4 twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse which we have had for 9 years, it has an aluminium frame and was straightforward to erect. It is in the bottom corner of my north facing garden and it has been fab. It doesn't over heat because the twin wall gives a degree of shade and it has a fence close to one side. We seem to get the ideal amount of light in it. I prefer a greenhouse because you can tie things up to little lock in tabs on the frame and have a top opening window for better ventilation. We have row soil borders with a flagstone path up the middle and grow tomatoes and cucumbers in bottomless pots in the soil. I also grow marigolds and basil in the soil to deter the whitefly and it has worked so far. I keep the moisture levels up at this time of year by pouring water on to the path which is edged with wood.

Love my greenhouse :D which is funny because it is actually OH's greenhouse which we bought for his 40th, but he has only looked in it about 3 times this year. :roll::lol:

I have a huge Alton greenhouse. Because they messed up delivery parts they came and erected it for us foc - we just asked for the missing bits and never expected that. So great customer service there! But they did say that had we done it ourselves the instructions left a lot to be desired and as they do it all the time they don't need the instructions (which makes you think why not make it easier to understand then) and one of the guys lent me a book of his - a really old one - about growing so when I'd made notes I posted it back. It is made of cedar and really good. I see they have much better updated ones now. Although I think I'd like a polytunnel too - but that's for an even bigger garden and I'll have both!!!!