Frances Russell

Adding chickens!! PLEASE HELP

Hello chicken enthusiasts,

I am considering adding another chicken or two to my eglu flock!!

I want to get a couple of battery hens, as many friends have told me how lovely they are, and they really do need new homes :boohoo:! Unfortunately, I only really found out about battery hens after I got my two girls.

At the moment I have two chickens (Hettie (Bluebelle) and Courgettie PP ) in an Eglu Go with a 3 metre run !gogreen! .

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

Firstly, does anyone have four chickens in their eglu Go? (I have a three metre run). If so does this work okay?

Secondly, how easy is it to introduce new chickens? Would I be able to just put the new hens in the run straight away? I know a lot of people say you shouldn't. Again, any tips would be FAB.

Thirdly, would I just be able to add one battery hen GNR to my flock? Or do I need to add two?

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated!!

Frances x

I wouldn't add just one.

I have had four in an eglu not sure if a Go is the same size it is the run size that is more important.

Ex batts would need separate accommodation initially to gain strength. It is also recommended to quarantine new chooks too.

Ex batts are great I had 3 only Agnes left now.

Chrissie

I have 4 bantams in a Go with 3m run. I'm sure it's probably fine, but it seems too small to me, and mine FR whenever I'm not at work. I'm looking forward to moving house and being able to get a big walk in run. No problem with Eglu size, I just don't feel the run gives them enough space.

If you can let them out a lot then they'd be OK, but I wouldn't put 4 full sized hens in if they'll be spending most of their time shut in.

Ditto purplemaniacs re intro's.

Hello,

Thanks for replies!

The size of the run was the problem I had initially with my two girls. Felt they didn't have enough space so got another metre. I do let them out everyday, but I stay there because of the foxes. I wouldn't say they are out for the majority of the day.

I was contemplating getting a walk in run aswel. So if I did decide maybe that would be a good plan. Let the ex-battery hens settle in and recover in my Eglu Go, and put my girls in the walk in run. Also if I did that I could get four ex-battery hens and then get a cube with a walk in run. Put them all in together.

I think for now I will just research it and keep on enjoying my girls. It would be a shame to change my eglu though. I do love my Eglu Go and my girls.

Thanks for your help!!

It would be a shame to change my eglu though. I do love my Eglu Go and my girls.

Why not keep your Eglu Go and keep your girls in it and get a Cube and a run for the rescue girls ? That way the rescue girls could get strong and then you could introduce your original girls to them when the time is right.

This would then give you a hospital wing to keep any poorly hens in once everybody is mixed in and settled. And of course an isolation wing for any future ladies that come your way.

Just an idea :D

Good replies above - I would second the WIR idea. I had three girls in a 3 meter run and I had all sorts of feather pecking issues which is so hard to stop even when they move into a walk in run - it's like finger-nail biting! I love my set up now but if I'm truly honest I wish I had gone for a WIR and never bought the original omlet tunnel run - I have had three different generations of chooks overlapping each other for the last 7 years and they have taught each other the awful feather pecking habit which I am still battling to remove.

Hope this helps.