PixieDust

Hello and a bit of a rant.

Hello all.

I just want a bit of a rant as I feel very upset. It is chicken related.

As some of you know OH put the weld mesh on half of the run on Saturday. And as you are aware we have had rain. The weld mesh is starting to rust and has a white powdery bloom on it. I feel so deflated. Yes I bought it from eBay but didn't expect it to be such rubbish quality that it would start degrading like this. It wasn't cheap either. £52 for a 30m roll at 48" high.

Just phoned the company and they want photographs. I have a feeling I won't get anywhere but worth a try. Don't feel like finishing it now :cry:

the white powder is common on some galvanised mesh it's only either zinc oxide or a salt left over from the galvanising process that's reacted with the rain. the rust if it's on the cuts then that's to be expected on them as once cut the ends are no longer treated as galvanising is only a surface treatment if it's on the welds were the two wires meet then that's a sign the wire was galvanised before it was made into mesh

Yes OH said it's common on cheaper galvanised wires. This is supposed to be hot metal dipped. I spoke to Hills of Devon who said it wasn't right and shouldn't have done that since Saturday. I DIDN'T get it from Hills but I would go to then in future as they actually work out cheaper.

The eBay seller has not replied to my message.

ok, assuming you don't get anything back from your seller and you don't want to take it all down, there is a half solution.

if you are getting rust spots (orange) you can over paint those areas with Galvafroid. This is basically the same material that is applied in the galvanising process. (http://www.tools-paint.com/galvafroid-zinc-rich-cold-galvanising-coating-400ml-2224-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjwpvufBRCwzp_zyqfkhrcBEiQA8b-SHCU0CE5Mlw9-IkZpDxRuXCAezGnweNAo4BpJ5tAQpowaAtQr8P8HAQ

I specify galvafroid to be applied wherever a galvanised metal structure has been cut or welded.

Galvanised wire often has a white or silver powdery residue though and isn't anything to worry about.

I know it's frustrating, I was convinced OH was going to divorce me during the building of our enclosure,,,,,I kept changing the specifications and then deciding it wasn't secure enough then the mesh wasn't small gauge enough...etc etc

OH looks like he is doing a Stirling job and all that graft will be forgotten once your ladies are lavishing in that lovely run....

Thank you Alex. I will speak to OH about that.

I think more than anything I feel very ripped off. I don't work at the moment due to illness and I fought tooth and nail with OH over having weld mesh instead of chicken wire. I saved up for weeks to buy it myself so he had to use it. Like we have argued over the roof. His idea of a roof was bird netting and even when it all turned up on Wednesday he still claimed he had never known any chicken run with a roof! I explained about DEFRA and bird flu and he shut up lol.

I am glad we are not married as we may have been divorced a good half a dozen times over this. :shock:

As for changing the specs; I had to argue heavily to make the run 10ft 6" x 7ft as he wanted it 9 ft x 6ft. I actually wanted it 12ft x 8ft but that wasn't going to happen!

But he has hand built such a fabulous run and door. I don't think he thought he could build such a good structure :D

it looks like the mesh wasn't cleaned properly before galvanising or it was hung on something to be dipped in the galv tank if the rust is at a more or less regular distance along the roll then I'd say that is the reason it looks like it was welded up first then galvanised through

if you don't want to remove it all then as said a cold galv paint is the best thing to treat it with you can get it in a spray can with will be easier to treat mesh with, Rocol make one and rustolem do as well

Thanks sjp. Will look into those.

Had another reply from the seller - told me it's surface rust from the wire it was done up with. "Just give it a wipe." - as if I hadn't done so already lol.

Me thinks this could just drag on and on......I won't let them get away with it though.

I agree with the answers above; it looks like cheaply made weldmesh, and while the white bloom is to be expected, the rust isn't, so I'd be explaining to the seller that it isn't 'fit for purpose' and quote Trading Standards at them to get a (at least partial) refund.

Hills is a very good company and they supply great quality products, never had a problem with them.

Thanks Dogmother. I have done so 3 times now and they have basically brushed me off. OH'S agreed with Hills that it would last for a bit but OH also mentioned about the degredation of the buried wire. I know he doesn't want to take it off if he can possibly help it!!!!!! I got told off a bit as he won't be able to get on with it on Monday when he has a day off. But I paid for it and I won't allow this company to go unchecked. I found more rust yesterday too. After telling them galvanised wire doesn't rust unless it's substandard they stopped answering in eBay. Their email and website address is Far East Direct although not their eBay name. I guess that says it all.

I would message them via Ebay (so there's a record) saying that unless you get *insert your request* that you will start an Ebay dispute for a partial/full refund and post a comment about their sub-standard products on their facebook page and any other review site you can lay your hands on. Seeing as these days anyone can search the internet for a review on any product or company, you'd think they would be inclined to be more careful with their reputation.

My friends on here will remember my 'Showergate' dispute with Bathstore; it took a lot of wasted time, emails and phone calls with me being nice, so I said that unless I got the problem sorted out to my satisfaction by a given date, that I, together with Rosie and her friends would stage a peaceful sit in in our local store, we would invite along a friend who writes for the local paper, and Rosie would be taking photos to post on their Facebook page. It gave an amazingly satisfying result, but what a shame that it had to come to that.... I was quite looking forward to that sit-in too :?

With the kind help of a friend we have enough wire to finish the run. However OH ran out of the metal U nails so half a side, the door and the bit to dig in under the door are to be finished. The roof is balanced on til he has more U clips to secure the wire at the top of the run. It does slope but with the wire sticking up at the back it's too level at the moment. He even dug down around the back of the run to bury the wire. I didn't expect that but it took ages due to the hardcore and roots in the soil.

Photos here http://www.dropshots.com/PixieChix/date/2014-09

Also, after all this we may be moving in a year or so. OH's employer is retiring and wants him to move to Berkshire where he has bought a new estate. OH not sure he wants to move that far. I also still have my mum in a home around here and with a brother as useful as a chocolate fireguard as in he never visits her even though he lives 5 minutes away, I need to be able to make regular visits. OH may stay in the same job if the new owners want him or he may work elsewhere which would probably mean moving. Don't want to leave this house but as this is a small village, we are still outsiders so leaving the area for me would be no big deal.