Diana1

roosting outside

I have three hens, speckledy rose, bluebell and petal. its been months now and I've been meaning to ask you guys about my two hens that choose to roost on a perch outside rather than in the eglu. its been so mild they seem to be fine. i'm imagining that as it gets colder they will go in. what do you think?

They may, they may not decide to go in. If you look at posts by redsunset called this morehens desease again, she has at the last count about forty two hens that roost in her trees dispite having some lovely coops.

Apparently hers stay in the trees even in high winds and she lives in the hebredian Islands, luckily for her and her girls is they have no foxes there!!,

That is correct, lol! Three big girls choose to roost in a willow most nights, and a mum and ten 14 week old chicks sleep in an Ash tree?? How they hang on in windy nights is beyond me but it is what is natural I suppose. Does them no harm and hopefully as temps lower in the coming months they will have the sense to come down to a coop??? :roll:

They hop and fly up from branch to branch, the highest wee chook is at least 15 ft up! No predators up here thankfully. Very occasional polecat but a lot have been eradicated along with the mink in recent years. No foxes or badgers. Hasn't done them any harm as all ten babies are very healthy so far. :)