Purplemaniacs

Sewing machine question

We are thinking of getting DD a sewing machine for Christmas. She has enjoyed watching the sewing bee and has often mentioned it would be nice to have a machine so she could try to make things for her girls. We are looking at a reasonable price machine that would be good for a beginner. Any thoughts on these two from John Lewis

http://www.johnlewis.com/brother-jk1700-sewing-machine/p955260?navAction=jump

or

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-sewing-machine/p317685?navAction=jump

or any other suggestions for a similar price machine.

Thanks

Chrissie

I had a similar brother one as the bottom one in your post - I have only just upgraded this year to a better model - it is a good enough one for a beginner. Once she decides she likes sewing then she can upgrade - I went to a shop where they trade them in and I bought another second hand one but much better than the one I had for quilting.

The John Lewis one looks like the one I have, it's ideal for a beginner as it will do most things you'd want to do in either crafting or clothes-making and has a few stitch variations but not so many as to be confusing. I believe it is Janome branded as John Lewis, it certainly fits Janome accessories anyway.

The Brother one is the same as I have recently bought for a friend's birthday (several of us club together at birthdays) - I chose it over the John Lewis one because I think it had slightly more stitches, and it has a see-through bobbin cover so you can see when it's running out, which is invaluable. My friend is a complete beginner, she had never used a sewing machine until I gave her a go on mine recently, and the Brother one did not come with a book, just a DVD. The DVD probably has lots of useful stuff on but it's less convenient when you want to check something!

I think either of them would be good for a beginner, I definitely wouldn't spend any more than that on a first machine. If she really gets into it, there are lots to choose from in the more expensive range. If she has as much fun with either as I've had with mine, it'll be a really worthwhile present!