Dolly

Neighbour's hen dilemma

I noticed yesterday when looking out of my bedroom window, that one of my neighbour's hens is constantly gaping with her beak open and head tilting upwards. She's still doing it today but is still pottering about . While I'm not the sort to poke my nose in other people's business, I wonder if they've noticed, I can't bear to think she's suffering. I hate any sort of 'confrontation', even if its to offer help which could easily be taken the wrong way, particularly with someone I only occasionally say hello to and don't really know. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes if it was the other way round but can't decide what to do for the best. For all I know they might be treating her and feel I'm calling their animal care into question.

My OH said if I did decide to say something, I could use the excuse of offering them some of my Flubenvet to try, what do you think? Help!

I'd be inclined not to get involved Dolly. It may be a respiratory infection, an immunisation flare-up or Mycoplasma, which you could bring back to your hens. I doubt the cause is gapeworm, so if they did try your Flubenvet and it made no improvement you could get dragged into all manner of problems.

Oh, I wouldn't just be able to leave her suffering like that poor little thing. I'd certainly pop round - you don't need to go in their garden just have a chat on the doorstep.

If it were me, I'd be really pleased that someone was looking out for the health of my chooks, even if I had already noticed and was treating them.

I'd pop round and be apologetic, and say I had been watching their gorgeous hens and explain what I'd noticed. I can't see how anyone would be offended by that, unless they are a complete a-hole.

I disagree with Beantree I am afraid. Whilst I am no vet, I would have thought gapeworm was far more likely than something relatively uncommon like Mycoplasma. Especially if you haven’t noticed these symptoms in any of their other birds. Anyway, if it *is* something contagious you have more likelihood of wild birds transferring it to your flock that standing on someone’s doorstep having a quick chat.

After a few days it was apparent she was getting worse and wasn't being treated, so I plucked up courage and went round with some Flubenvet (by now I was sure she had gapeworm). I wasnt sure how this would be received but couldnt watch her suffer any more, luckily they were grateful I did, as they didn't know what was wrong. I suggested mixing a tiny bit in water and giving her by mouth to start with as she probably wasnt eating and a few days later I could see her definitely improving. I know this isnt the recommended method but it was the only way to get something inside her quickly. Hopefully she'll continue to make a full recovery and alls well that ends well!