Brianbj

Bullying

I would make sure she has places to escape, give them lots of things to distract them, I have new girls at the moment and as soon as I spot any inappropriate behaviour I hang a sweet corn or something of the like to give them something else to think about.

Make sure you have enough feeders too so she can eat in peace. Does she have new feathers coming through? Any blood drawn?

How many hens do you have sharing how big a space?

I haven't had severe bullying problem before so I am not talking from experience. but try the following

Beak bits

Anti pecking spray

Free ranging

Get a strong rooster

Put that hen in a small cage in the coop with food and water for a month or two

Get Wright feeder so the hens spend long time pecking at it

The problem I found when removing a picked on hen (or a poorly one) actually made bullying worse when putting the hen back in with the flock. If I did have to separate, I either put a cage in the run, or put it where the others could still see the hen. I had bullying for a long long time - I moved the items (feeders, drinkers, dust bath, perches etc) around once a week, pecking blocks were constantly replenished - and thankfully I found the problem fixed itself. Also pecking sprays didn't work for me - stockholm tar was the way to go which I painted on a hen with an old paintbrush (less messy).

Good luck!

x

I agree, taking out the hen that is picked on just means when you put her back she is back in the same position, if you need to remove any I would take out the top hen and her second in command and keep them together, this will knock their confidence if that's not an option then take another lower ranking hen and put her in with the picked on one so when you put them back In there are two together, safety in numbers and all that!!