Chicken shack

Ideas for temporary accomodation for new ex batts (update)

I am going to re home 3 ex caged hens very soon and my intro (green eglu) is occupied by my 2 bantams that had to be separated from the bigger girls. I can't afford a new (green eglu) and even the second hand ones on eBay cost to much. Does anyone have any suggestions :?: I only need the house as it will be placed in the WIR. It needs to be warm.

Edited by Guest

When I got my last ex batts, I used a large plastic pet carrier as temporary accommodation. I covered the top and sides with thick plastic (a cut up compost bag I think) to make double sure it was waterproof and wind proof, and I put lots of shavings and straw inside to keep it cosy. The chooks all cuddled up together anyway. It did the trick for a couple of weeks until they could go in with the others and share the coop.

I have a small plastic dog kennel which I use for new girls. It cost me about £30 . It slots together and comes apart easily for cleaning .

One of my girls lays her eggs in there now. I have a couple of old towels on top at the moment with plastic over .

I wanted to remove it ready for the next newbies but bluebell made such a fuss.

Jackie x

we got a rabbit hutch off gumtree for £15 - refelted the roof and waterproofed it and its as good as new - we put our oldies in there and gave the new ex bats the luxury of the eglu ! We have very feisty oldies so its helped to knock them down a peg or two !! haha

good luck - our 4 newbies ( got on Sat) are doing fab and put themselves to bed last night - so lovely giving them a new home x

Thank you for your suggestions. I've seen a chicube on Amazon for approx £150 and a kennel for cats, dogs etc twin walled fron £39 to £90 odd on eBay. Both more than I can really afford. However having 8 girls in the (cube green) already it may be cost effective to buy the chicube. There is also !goyellow! On eBay that is currently under £100 it finishes Sunday. I need advice please. :roll:

You are welcome to use my old eglu (original model wooden roosting bars) for as long as you want. we are a distance away but it might be worth investigating having it couriered down as a part load. Give me a shout if you are interested. Ax

That is very kind of you to offer. :D What a shame you don't live closer. :roll: my neighbours brother lives in Dunblame but they go up by train. :roll: I think I will hold out for the !goyellow! On eBay if that goes up to much go for the chicube on Amazon. I put it on my credit card. :lol: I do think 11 in the (cube green) is quite a lot so another bedroom is probably a better for them. It will give them more space to lay, not that any are laying ATM. :lol:

The only pet carriers I have are the wire type. So no good for introductions. If I buy a rabbit hutch or pet carrier I may as well put the money towards some kind of permanent house. :shock: keep my fingers crossed for the eglu go on eBay. :wink: the trouble is it comes with the run and netting and I only really need the house. :roll:

The hens have arrived at PACT and I collect them Saturday. :D I found a big plastic box with a lid. I'm going to cut a hole at one end cover it in bubble wrap for insulation and put some bedding in there. This is only temporary until Monday when a (green eglu) arrives. :dance: I will give you more details next week however I would like to thank Karma for now. :wink: All will be revealed next week. We have a great group of people on this site. :clap::clap::clap: