liz.dudley

Hyperthyroidism in Cats

Smokey our 12 year old cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

The vet has given us three options for treatment,

1) tablets everyday.... not something that we or he will like to be honest.

2) surgery to remove his thyroid gland... should then be fine after this

3) radioactive thyroid treatment to destroy his thyroid tissue, but he'll need to be away from home for a couple of weeks after this...

So I'm trying to decide between 2 and 3 at the moment. Any advice would be welcome.

Ok, I always get the two muddled up but this is the overactive thyroid condition, is that right?

My cat Claudette was diagnosed with an over-active thyroid about two years ago. The radioactive treatment wasn't an option really as she is not insured, and it's quite expensive I believe - I don't think my vet even suggested it. I posted about this at the time, and I will see if I can find that thread for you because someone responded whose cat had had the radioactive treatment, and they said it worked.

Claudette has two Vidalta tablets a night, and it's really easy - I put them in a tiny amount of tuna, pate, chicken or similar food and she just scoffs them up. If I had to administer them orally, I would have given up because she is not a cat that can be handled! I wouldn't rule out the tablets therefore, it might be preferable to surgery.

edited to add: here you go - some tips on this thread

My neighbour's old cat had this for a few years (he was very old anyway). I looked after him on a regular basis when they went away.... they used to fuss about him not taking the tablets and had a whole range of things to try them in. I just used to tip his head back and pop it down his throat before he knew what was going on :lol: He seemed fine and well on the tabs.