Cinnamon

Which shrub? Advice needed

I have a pair of beautiful pots outside the front of my house which are large & in full Sun in the summer.

I would like to grow a shrub in each of the......something evergreen & tolerant of the Sun.

If it flowers too, that would be a bonus!

I have got stuck on Lavender, which is fine, but I am wondering if there is anything else I could consider too?

magnolia Grandiflora or Eriobotrya japonica are both unusual and very pretty, they are trees but easily contained as bushes if the pots are a reasonable size

Euphorbia mellifera is also utterly beautiful as a small bush easily the prettiest of the euphorbias but others are better known

Daphne odora is an unusual flowering evergreen

This is a lovely site for unusual plant inspiration http://www.architecturalplants.com/index.html

Well, I already have a lovely little Olive tree, along with a lemon & a couple of Oranges, all in pots along the front wall of the house, where they thrive (in the warmer months. they fill my porch up this time of year!)

So I think I am going to stick with Lavender, as I know it will do well & I love it so.

I think I should be able to get 3 small bushes in each pot, as they are pretty big, so they should form a nice display pretty quickly :-)

What about some rosemary? I once bought a tiny pot of a rosemary bush ( more like a few twigs) from Morrisons. 2 years later & it is a huge beautiful bush in my front garden. I use it for all kinds of things... in cooking lamb & focaccia bread, in hair oils & rinses, in scented sachets etc etc. It's a hardy plant & survived all that terrible weather that Aberystwyth got this time last year. It's taken a right bashing & looks good all year round. Love the smell of it. Get yourself some parsley, sage & thyme & you have yourself a love charm! Oo er!

Emma.x

How about a Chilean Guava.

Member of the Myrtle family.

Evergreen small pink flowers and edible fruit with a wonderful flavour.

It comes in variegated and gold variants too.

Your situation would be ideal for them.

I have just ordered two from Burncoose (I'm sure you could get them cheaper but their plants are really good quality)

Thanks for the ideas - I especially like the look of the Chilean Guava.

Rosemary is a good option also, but I already have lots & lots of that in the garden.

So, I am thinking of the Chilean Guava as a stand alone shrub in my front border now,which is very sp"Ooops, word censored!" & need filling in, with lavender (just because it will smell wonderful), in the pots :P