Cat tails

Governmental list of legal pets

Our government have published a list of mammals that can be legally kept as pets. Based on their requirements, these are ok to keep. They first wanted to exclude dogs! Most likely the russian hamster will be on the excluded list, as well as the degoe. For those Dutch who have their hearts set on owning a zebra must hurry! They become illegal to own on February 1st!

You can however have a eastern grey kangaroo or a waterbuffalo!

I've just had a quick look at the Positive List, obviously it's all in Dutch but Chrome translated it for me.

Would be interested to understand the selection criteria; I see you can keep Mink and Water Buffalo as a pet but not a Chinchilla or Guinea Pig...

What happens to the Russian hamsters, degu and zebra after 1st Feb - do they have to be licenced?

Any "forbidden" pets can be kept after February 1st, but need to be licensed and you are forbidden to breed them. People are not allowed to buy any pets from this negative list.

Mink and waterbuffalo are both "farm" animals and fall under different laws. Same goes for Red deer. Chinchilla's are most likely to be put on the sort of B list. Animals that can only be kept with a license and under strict rules and guidelines regarding their housing and such.

I think it is an interesting development. I think it is a good thing that people are made more aware of the housing and requirements of certain animals. And I do think some animals are far from appropriate as pets. I'm just concerned it will go too far and animals will get dumped or their breeding will go underground.

Plans are to make similar lists for birds, reptiles and amphibians.

Well at least not the tiny cages people normally keep them in. The ones they can't fly in, but only hop around.

I especially think a list for reptiles is a good move too. People get cute little turtles, but they turn out to be huge snappy beasts. Same goes for tiny snakes that grow into big monsters.