eve

help rat

The first stage is to find out how it got into the run and block it off. This may be an entry point quite high up as rats can climb, but usually it is at ground level. If it persists it is down to trapping it or poisoning it. Risk with poison is your hens eating it, even second hand. If a mouse eats it and gets poisoned, dying in the run, the chickens may eat it, certainly ours would. Saw one chasing a field mouse yesterday and today one jumped up at a tree branch to try and snatch a sparrow off it! They both missed and the wildlife escaped unharmed.

Yes mine eat mice its a open run at top of the garden.just worried if I've seen 1 there will be alot more.will my hens stop laying if they see the rat and will they eat the eggs ?. Had chickes gor years and first time ive seen a rat x

I too have seen a rat in my girls covered WIR, it also tunnelled under the cube skirt to get in where I had slabs too! I have poison down, rat traps, no joy yet, the girls are confined to the barracks. I have reinforced and bunged up the holes with metal stakes, I have since seen it outside the run, but not in. My cat is hopeless, despite bringing all sorts of mice and birds in for me, she has also on two occasions dragged headless rabbits (big ones) in through the cat flap, but takes no interest in the rat activity!

OH is keen on shooting said rat.

I posted about a massive rat in the enclosure last week, It took me two days to find the hole which was four foot high in the corner of the run, I've blocked and reinforced that area and blocked the hole under the fence where it was getting in from next door and I have not seen it since! Touch wood!!