Jenthelibrarian

Poorly chicken help plse?

My black hybrid hen, Tilly, is just about three years old and currently not right.

Here's everything I can think of telling you all in the hopes of some advice....

Over the past couple of days she has been off-and-on listless with her tail down. She is producing very runny poops, greeny in colour.

She also has little bouts of doing a funny little gulping head-jerk, like someone about to throw up or maybe like a hiccup.

No eggs for several days, she usually lays regularly.

As far as we can tell her crop feels normal.

The other two are not bothering her at all.

A couple of days ago I was all for calling the vet and she was suddenly back to herself.

This morning once again she was all sorry for herself and lurking in the coop, but I returned from work this afternoon to find her out and about and jumping into my lap and up onto our patio table for crumbs of rice cake.

Any ideas?

Sounds odd; when one of my girls had impacted crop last year, she was standing around looking very miserable and doing the jerky head/swallowing thing. Her tail was down and she had watery poos. Keep an eye on her crop in case there's a problem building up - my hen went downhill just over a couple of days and when I took her to the vets she was extremely dehydrated and had lost a lot of weight. I was shocked at how hard her crop had suddenly got. Turns out she had a large tumour inside as well, which obviously I didn't know about and so the vet advised to PTS. Goes without saying that she had stopped laying too. She was a black rock; her black rock sister was PTS the very next day also due to a large tumour, although she had been vaguely not right for a little while :(

I don't want to cause alarm, but keep a close eye on her that she is able to eat and drink. If she has perked up again then it could have been something she ate (too many greens/treats or something?). I believe live maggots help with crop blockages if necessary.

As we all know, they hide illness very well and they go downhill very quickly, so I tend to be a bit paranoid now every time something different happens :anxious: They are a worry :anxious:

I hope little Tilly gets better soon. Perhaps someone else will be able to shed a bit more light on it for you.

Thanks both!

She's still a poorly old chook, although she perked up to scoff down some mashed spud softened up with yoghurt.

As I was worried about fluid intake I got some grapes and I've been offering those chopped up and floating in a bowl of water and she took some.

She's been dozing quietly in the sunshine, and I'm unwilling to disturb her too much.

I think it's the vet tomorrow, although I'm really worried that she won't come home with me :(