Alis girls

Prolapsed vent

Went in to see girls this afternoon and noticed Rhoda has a prolapsed vent. I have followed instrutions to push gently back in with lubricant and also tried to clean her up and dry her off. Shes now in old rabbit hutch with corn and water and bedding. Chicken vet isnt there and those on know nothing :shock: I rang a friend and shes never had this prob with her girls. Her OH can dispatch - me and my OH have never done this and I dont want her to suffer but will have a go if necc. To add shes been wormed recently and did lay a shell less egg in cat box after her bath. Anything else or is all lost. Shes about 2 I think and got her from the friend whose other hens picked on her. Shes has layers pellets, calcuim and grit and mealworms more recently as moulting. This morning when I did check I didnt notice prolapse. This week shes laid 2 normal eggs. adv gratefully received.

What a shame.

I used to always treat hens with a prolapse vent. Have had half a doz or so over the years and have managed to get them all back. However, every single one has prolapsed again, so I now cull.

Hope you can sort something out.

Ali I think I read somewhere that you can use haemorrhoid cream on vent.I suppose the problem is will it keep re occurring. If it is small I would keep her separate and give that a go.( it's also said to be good for bags under the eyes)not that I am suggesting you have any :lol:

:lol: I read that too re haem cream but then read not to use. So I bathed - gently pushed back with lubricant and held her for 5mins - I am not sure if its come out - left her quietly to recover from my efforts. I read the bit in chicken clinic re the sling but I cant see her letting me put a sling? bandage on - she enjoyed the bath. Will put a heat pad in tonight so she has some comfort. It says keep separate for 3 days - if she doesnt improve I will despatch. Thanks for advice - Eglutyne you live too far for me to bring her round for expert care.

I decided as getting no better to ask friends OH to show me how to dispatch. Sad as now I am back to one hen again. Rhoda was a companion for my old bird. My friends other girls picked on her. She had 6+ happy months. RIP Rhoda