patsylabrador

Dennis Sever's House

At long last after roughly ten years of procrastination I visited this house in Spitalfield. It's strange and feels like you've gone back in time, especially when you leave it. I don't really know how to describe it best, I felt slightly intrusive as though it is still a family home. The website does a better job than me. It is to the left of the picture, I liked how there is more or less 300 years between the building of the house and the office blocks.

IMG_20150519_4161_zps9y51ggj0.jpg

Liverpool Street station is the nearest tube and BR. I did get confused at first and went out the wrong exit. I think eventually I realised I needed an exit (there are lots of information maps) out to Bishopsgate. Turn left and walk straight forward until Folgate Street is on your right. It's a short way down there. Takes only about five minutes.

I Google Street Map walked it the previous evening to familiarise myself with the look of the roads. They never look the same as on maps.

I also gps'd myself to make sure I was heading in the right direction. I've got lost so many times in London, it's crazy.

I finally made it to this fascinating, amazing house (for fifteen years until this May I worked about five minutes away from here, so I wonder why it took me so long!).

As PatsyLabrador says it's hard to describe - not a museum as such, more of an experience. Highly recommended if you're going to be in the area. Top tip - it opens at 12 on Mondays, we queued for about 20 minutes but when we came out at 1 there was no queue outside, so worth delaying your visit a little.

I am ashamed to say I'd never heard of it - but is on my list. OH and I did Wallace collection after I went there for friends 50th. I wonder how many little places there are that we arent aware of in the capital till someone posts. Thanks Patsy anymore little gems for us. Having lived in London since 1980 I cant believe I've not heard of theses places. Spital fields used to be a down market area then - not to be ventured after dark unless you had a dubious reputation. How times have changed.