Alis girls

Teenagers - summer work

My ES is looking for summer work mainly in pubs as hes experience of working in hospitality business. He has sent out emails and CV's to pubs in area and knows he wont make a packet but just some money to boost his savings. He worked a "trial" of 7 hours on Sunday at a gastro pub.The manager said he'd done well and said he'd be in touch with possible hours later this week. Nothing. Hes got a trial elsewhere but is he entitled to being paid - he was knackered - cleared tables - all sorts.

I do remember some yrs back a post which I think was about this. We were very naive and I dont think he'll get a penny. Someone with older children whos been there might be able to advise please.

Trials are standard really, & are usually unpaid. My girls both did their fair share of them, some with a successful outcome, some not.

Are there any events in your area - fairs, festivals, large gatherings etc?

My daughters both earned good money on the hospitality team at Henley Regatta & Henley Festival. VERY hard work, but reasonable money & fabulous tips. My eldest worked for The Roux brothers one year & once got a £30 tip from an American customer :D They also got to eat any spare meals - not bad at all!

Or how about getting him to look into local caterers who might be looking for staff for events that they have been hired to cater for?

And local Hotels or places where summer weddings might take place?

Thanks ladies - his trial went ok - I think its the fact they dont even have the manners to tell them that its probably not the right place for them. Both pubs have eateries and hes better doing the drinks. His hands were shaking and they asked him if he could carry 3 plates - 2 on an arm and one in hand. I have told him to practice with my plastic ones :shock: I dont want smashed crocks everywhere. Managers are a law to themselves. The one guy wont even acknowledge his email. I feel like going there and shaking him by the neck. :notalk:

Little update - hes worked 2 evenings at 2nd pub he went to. There with his mate tonight. He gets so nervous. Fine with bar work but nervous in restaurant and hand shakes - told him not too worry - and take his time. Most people are understanding - his dads father worked in a restaurant in Soho in the 1950's and if someone complained re food they would take it back to kitchen and spit in it and take it back :shock: I dont think he would do anything so wicked.

2 shifts sounds promising so will keep fingers crossed!

I'm in a similar situation in that I can only work summers with studying abroad. I'm lucky that I've worked at festivals for 3 or 4 years so usually get asked to work those, I've just got back from Glastonbury and would be working F1 this week if I didn't have an exam.

Volunteering and trial shifts can seem a pain but if you get stuck in it usually gets noticed, you don't have to be good but as long as you try!

I have to do a lot of placements for uni and a few have offered paid work afterwards but even the ones who haven't have served as good contacts for other placements and work :D

He came in last night - went well and has thurs and fri shifts - hes taken tonight off. Took dessert and drink orders whilst his mate did bar. There are 5 teens working and they teach them well - hes loving it and looking forward to the dosh. Hes a hard worker - we are a family with strong work ethic on both sides - I dont think either me or OH have ever signed on - we are lucky I suppose - and no I am not criticsing those who do. Jobs arent easy to find and minimal wages arent for all but for a student they are aduquate if they have support at home. Thanks Lewis for encouragement - festivals are a thought - I was going to suggest he trys for a first aid cert to have something else to offer too.

Interesting thought I looked at the coffee course. He continues to work several nights a week and you wouldnt believe it but the guy whose trial ran for the whole of Fathers day has emailed him. Hes happy with one job - he also had an offer from another pub. I will look into the Barista and food hygiene courses.