soapdragon

Newspapers for Hamsters

No, not a survey on your pet's reading habits but, rather, a query over the use thereof!

We have always used newspaper to line the cage bottom and then added a thick layer of sawdust. However, a friend of mine recently told me that this is endangering the hammys as the ink can be toxic if they shred the paper (which the dwarf Russians have always tended to do tho the Chinese don't.)

As always, oh wise ones, any advice gratefully received!

I use newspaper and a thick layer of sawdust for the rabbit and he seems perfectly healthy. He rips his newspaper from time to time but there's never any sign of a problem, not even a poorly tummy.

Maybe this comes from years ago when news ink may well have been less safe than it is now.

If you are worried and you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, you could always try using that blessed brown paper they use by the mile to wrap things in. I use that as well when I don't have enough newspaper and it seems fine too.

Thanks, peeps! That does make me feel better - I was getting worried about poisoning my 4! The Chinese don't seem to shred but tunnel in huge amounts of sawdust whilst one of the dwarf Russians just lugs her torn up paper hankie bedding from place to place; its only really the second Russian who shreds like mad on a regular basis. At least I can be sure I am not hastening their demise!