My 8 year old electric fencing has seen better days. I use it just as netting and don't electrify it but really need to think about replacing it.

My pekins can easily pop through the smaller sections at the bottom so I need to find something that will keep them in!

I've been looking at the Omlet fencing but it's so expensive :shock:

I'm wondering if anyone has it and think it's worth the money and also if the lower sections are small enough to keep naughty pekins in their run?

My naughty little Pekin's get through the omlet netting, funny to watch as the push their heads through, wiggle their bottoms and run for freedom :lol:

That said they don't do it everyday just when the fancy takes them, or there is a particularly nice plant that needs closer inspection and taste testing.

I have it, mine is old and worn out, patched in various places with cable ties. However, I watched a fox go through the netting in an undamaged place, carrying a bantam orpington in its mouth, so since then I have not rated it. I would look to see what else is out there if it was me. I'm pretty certain I also have another make for one of the pens as the posts are different, but I can't remember what its called.

Thanks both.

That's worrying to hear about the fox Daphne, although the holes do seem smaller on the Omlet netting than mine.

Every time I do a search for Chicken fencing suitable for bantams, the one that keeps coming up is Omlet.

Argh!! Not sure what to do :roll:

Agreed Ursula, it is comical watching the tiny's wiggling their way to freedom. They're a bad sort these Pekins :lol:

Well frankly I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it :shock: If there isn't anything available with a smaller mesh, then perhaps go for it. I wouldn't put anybody off 100%, its just I would see if I could find something cheaper as I don't personally believe the omlet stuff is miles better than anything else.

We use metal panels intended as puppy pens or rabbit runs and they work well. They're only short but keep everyone in their bit of the garden; all except the Cream Legbar!

6153008223_b516b1eb0c_z.jpg

We have about 20 so can put them in different arrangements depending on growers, the veg patch etc.

They may work for your setup, alternatively you could fashion something out of mesh like Cooks did

010-4.jpg

I forgot about the metal fences, I use them for growers pens, with lids on, then as the birds get bigger I discard the lid and add a few fence panels so there is more space in the run and for a few weeks I have something a bit Heath Robinson on the top, sometimes just fruit netting, before I put the growers in with bigger birds.

Sorry folks, I'd forgotten to check back in on this thread :oops:

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm going to start off by looking for rabbit netting. We're on a bit of a slope so I think the fixed panels might not be so practical for us.

The bantams haven't been so adventurous recently but I know come Spring, they'll be on an escape mission :roll: